Why choose Nationwide?
- You can view and print ID cards & policy documents, request changes to your coverages, make payments or start or check on a claim from any device
- Outstanding claims service – Our auto policy is the only one backed by an On Your Side promise.
Did you know...?
- Nationwide was founded in 1926
- They are one of the biggest financial services and insurance agencies in the world
- Aside from car insurance, they also handle property & casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement savings, and asset management
- Customer Service: 1-877-669-6877
- 1 W Nationwide Blvd Columbus, OH 43215
Once upon a time, Nationwide was a small mutual auto insurer. Nearly a century later, it has become one of the biggest insurance and financial services companies in the world, and the eighth largest auto insurance company in the United States.
You can probably hum Nationwide’s familiar jingle: “Na-tion-wide is on your side….” But does Nationwide live up to that promise? The company pledges to provide friendly, personal service, respond quickly when you need them, protect your personal information, and always communicate clearly. Nationwide offers customers a free annual On Your Side® Review: a personalized assessment of your insurance coverage, needs and discounts.
|Clearsurance||4/5 – 2990 reviews|
On Clearsurance, an independent review site, Nationwide gets a positive assessment from its customers. Four out of five say they’re likely to renew their policy, and 77% say they would recommend Nationwide to a friend. They say the claims process is painless, rates are reasonable and customer service is exceptional.
Nationwide earns an A+ from the Better Business Bureau. The company still gets plenty of complaints on the BBB site (as every insurer does) but it’s good about responding, hence the A+. Additionally, AM Best’s A+ rating means that Nationwide is financially strong and stable.
What’s it like to work for Nationwide? Generally good, employees say on Glassdoor: the culture is positive, and there are plenty of chances for advancement.
How much does Nationwide cost?
Nationwide is known for its great coverage and service; not so much for super-low rates. However, your mileage may vary! The cost of Nationwide insurance is affected by a wide range of factors, including:
- Your driving record. A history of tickets, traffic violations and claims means you’ll pay more.
- Your credit history. Most states allow insurance companies to consider credit when they’re setting rates. A S. News report found that Nationwide was among the best companies for offering cheap insurance for drivers with bad credit.
- The type of coverage you choose. A state-minimum policy is the cheapest, although having only bodily injury liability and property damage liability (plus any other coverages mandated by your state) may not be enough to fully protect you. Compare quotes for different levels of coverage, then decide what you can afford.
- Where you live. Your state of residence can have a huge impact on your car insurance bill. If you live in Michigan, for instance, you might pay twice as much as someone living in North Dakota.
- Your personal circumstances. Other factors affect insurance costs, such as your age, marital status, address and the car you drive.
Find your own personalized rates in just minutes!
How much can I save with Nationwide?
Nationwide offers a ton of car insurance discounts that can lower your bill. Best of all, the company is transparent about the discounts it offers and how to earn them. These include:
|Defensive Driving Discount||Get savings for completing a state-approved safety course.|
|Good Student Discount||Students aged 16 to 24 who maintain a B average or better are eligible for a discount.|
|Safe Driver Discount||No at-fault accidents or serious violations in the past 5 years? You deserve a discount.|
|Accident-Free Discount||Steer clear of accidents and you can save.|
|Multi-Policy Discount||Nationwide says customers save an average of $710 per year when they combine home and auto insurance.|
|SmartRide Discount||Allow Nationwide to track your driving habits, and you can earn up to a 40% discount (you save 10% just for signing up).|
|Anti-Theft Feature Discount||Get a discount if your car has certain anti-theft features.|
|SmartMiles Discount||If you’re a low-mileage driver, you can pay less for insurance.|
|Multi-Vehicle Discount||Insure more than one vehicle with Nationwide and save.|
|EasyPay Discount||Set up automatic withdrawals and get a one-time discount.|
|Affinity Discount||Nationwide offers special savings to members of hundreds of alumni associations, professional groups and other organizations.
Where does Nationwide offer coverage?
Nationwide serves drivers in 47 states and Washington, D.C.
Is Nationwide right for me?
With a strong reputation and a slew of available discounts, Nationwide is one of the top 10 auto insurance companies in the U.S. But is it the best choice for you? It may be, if…
- You’d rather have reliable coverage than rock-bottom pricing
- You have a pretty good driving record but not-so-great credit
- You appreciate good service when you’re changing your policy or filing a claim
The best way to make a decision is to compare customized, real-life car insurance quotes. That makes it easy to see how Nationwide stacks up against other companies on price and coverage.
Find out if Nationwide is right for you by comparing rates from 60 top insurers
What else does Nationwide offer?
If you decide to become a Nationwide customer, you can get all your insurance needs met in one place. Nationwide’s insurance products include:
Auto & Vehicle
- Recreational Vehicle
- ATV/Sport Vehicle
- Golf Cart
- Commercial vehicle
- Classic car
- Farm and Ranch
- Does Nationwide have a mobile app?
It sure does. The Nationwide Mobile app for iPhone and Android lets you check the status of your policy, access your ID card, make payments, file a claim or request roadside assistance. On some devices, the app offers fingerprint/facial recognition access.
- How does SmartMiles work?
Nationwide offers a special plan for low-mileage drivers. Plug a device into your car that tracks miles driven, and then pay a variable rate for insurance depending on how much you drive.
- How does SmartRide work?
SmartRide is Nationwide’s driver-tracking program, which assesses your driving performance through an app or a plug-in device. You get a 10% discount for signing up, then a discount of up to 40%, depending on your miles driven, hard-braking and fast acceleration incidents, idling time and frequency of nighttime driving.
Nationwide in the community
Nationwide is a big company with an even bigger heart. Its philanthropic arm, the Nationwide Foundation, has given nearly $500 million since 2000 to nonprofits across the country. The foundation’s focus is on organizations that provide emergency and basic needs and crisis stabilization, such as the Red Cross, the United Way, Feeding America and the Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
You may know Nationwide from…
Nationwide spokespersons and mascots
Brad Paisley and Peyton Manning
Nationwide has had several celebrity spokespeople over the years, but its most recent ones are country singer Brad Paisley and NFL star quarterback Peyton Manning. They star together in a series of commercials about “Peytonville,” a massive model town “where Nationwide helps protect every family, every business and every dream.”
Is Peytonville real? Model railroad hobbyists were debating this until the writer behind the spots revealed that the town is CGI. Oh well.
Nationwide on Social Media
Nationwide is all over social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.