- Customer Service: 1-800-423-6789
- Claims: 1-800-243-5860
- Roadside Assistance: 1-800-322-7789
- P.O. Box 14219 Lexington, KY 40512
If you’re a driver over the age of 50, you have the chance to tap into policies offered exclusively to AARP members.
AARP insurance policies are offered through The Hartford and designed with a senior lifestyle in mind. Let’s take a closer look at The Hartford insurance options for AARP members.
What is AARP Insurance?
The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) is a group open to anyone over the age of 50. The association takes action on behalf of older Americans to pursue change. As a member of this popular nonpartisan organization, older people can tap into many benefits.
A few of those benefits include access to a Social Security benefits calculator, Social Security Resource Center, AARP’s life insurance program through New York Life, AARP Medicare Supplement plan for discounts on prescription drugs, and many more local resources.
One of the popular AARP member benefits is their exclusive car insurance offered by The Hartford.
The Hartford was founded in 1810 as a fire insurance company. But in the intervening years, it has grown to offer a wide range of insurance options. And its powerful A+ rating from AM Best shows its top-notch financial strength.
Most importantly for this review, it offers car insurance policies to AARP members.
How Does Their Auto Insurance Work?
If you want insurance that is exclusively available to AARP members, you’ll need to work with The Hartford.
Working with The Hartford starts by providing a zip code, so they can ensure they offer insurance in your area. Then you’ll need to provide a bit more personal information, including your:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Education level
- Living situation
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Vehicle mileage
- Work address
- Vehicle usage
Once you share this information, they’ll provide you with your auto insurance premium quote. If the price works for you, you can move forward – but before you jump in, it’s a good idea to compare quotes from other insurance companies to ensure you get the best price.
If you want to get the best possible deal on your car insurance, you can compare rates with us. We can help you find the most affordable option in a flash with our auto insurance comparison tool.
How to Make Insurance Payments
If you purchase car insurance through The Hartford, there are a few ways to make payments. For those looking for a discount, you can pay in full online.
But that’s not always an option. You can also make one-time payments through the Express Services feature without creating an online account. Finally, you can pay through their app or set up an automatic payment if you have an optional online account.
Auto Insurance Claims
When you purchase auto insurance, you hope to never make a claim. But if you do, it’s ideal if the process is straightforward.
The Hartford makes it easy to file a claim online. You can report claims through the website.
But if you prefer to speak to a claims representative, that’s an option too. In fact, you can call a live agent to report your claim 24/7. Here’s the phone number for AARP members that need to report a claim to live agents: 877-805-9918.
Keep in mind that only covered events for an applicable insurance policy will result in a successful claim.
Save With Insurance Discounts
The Hartford offers a range of discounts to older adults.
First and foremost, AARP members are entitled to a discount of up to 10% on their auto insurance premiums through The Hartford. But there are many other discounts that you can pursue with The Hartford whether or not you are an AARP member.
These discounts include:
- Bundle Insurance Policies: The Hartford offers up to 5% savings for auto insurance policies if you bundle your home or renter’s insurance policies.
- Paid-in-Full Discount: You can save by paying your premium upfront. The exact amount varies, but it could be worthwhile savings.
- Drive Safe and Save: The Hartford offers a discount when you join their TrueLane program. You can save up to 12% by signing up. Plus, a discount of up to 25% on policy renewals based on your driving habits.
- Vehicle Fuel Type Discount: If you drive a hybrid or electric vehicle, The Hartford offers a discount.
- Defensive Driver Course Discount: Taking an approved defensive driving course can result in a discount on your policy for the next three years.
- Disappearing Deductible: If you drive without incidents, your deductible will decrease each year.
- Accident Forgiveness: If you have a clean driving record for five years, The Hartford will forgive your first accident.
A discount can make a big difference in your budget. If you think you might qualify, don’t forget to ask about it.
AARP Insurance Coverage Options
The Hartford offers a wide range of coverage options. Although the options vary a bit by state, here’s what insurance options you can expect to find through The Hartford:
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury liability
- Underinsured motorist bodily injury liability
- Medical payments coverage
- Personal injury protection coverage
- Full glass coverage
- Car towing coverage
- Personal umbrella insurance
- Gap insurance
- Rental car reimbursement coverage
- Rental car insurance
- New car replacement
- RecoverCare coverage
- Lifetime car repair assurance
- Classic car insurance
One of the unique features of The Hartford policies is that each includes roadside assistance 24 hours, seven days a week. You can always call for help if you run into a roadside emergency. In addition to car insurance, The Hartford offers other insurance products. These include:
- RV insurance
- ATV insurance
- Boat insurance
- Golf cart insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
- Home insurance policies
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Flood insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Small business owner’s policy
- General liability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Workers’ compensation insurance
- Business income insurance
- Commercial auto insurance
- Commercial flood insurance
- Commercial property insurance
- Commercial umbrella insurance
- Cyber insurance
- Employment practices liability insurance
- Home-based business insurance
- Management liability insurance
- Marine insurance
- Multinational insurance
- Professional liability insurance
As you can see, The Hartford offers plenty of insurance options for potential policyholders. You’ll have to decide for yourself what policies and level of coverage are right for your situation.
Where is AARP Insurance Available?
The Hartford offers car insurance in each of the 50 United States. With that, working with this AARP insurance partner is an option wherever you live in the country.
Insurance Customer Reviews
In terms of customer service, The Hartford stands apart from the crowd. The company earned the top spot in 2021 in the J.D. Power U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. With that, most people with The Hartford should expect a pleasant experience if they have to file a claim.
But when you look at the overall picture, The Hartford’s image isn’t quite so shiny. The company was in the middle of the pack in J.D. Power’s U.S. Auto Insurance Study. As a customer, you should expect a great experience if you need to make a claim. But otherwise, the company seems to offer average customer satisfaction ratings.
Pros and Cons of AARP Auto Insurance
Every insurance company comes with pros and cons. The Hartford’s offerings for AARP members are not an exception. Let’s take a closer look at the advantages and disadvantages to consider.
Starting with the pros:
- Discounts for AARP members: The AARP discount makes The Hartford policies more attractive.
- Highly rated: The high score for claims satisfaction bodes well for a positive experience.
- Specialized coverage options: Seniors looking for specialized policies will find that they are looking for with The Hartford.
But there are also some cons to keep in mind:
- Price point: The Hartford might not offer the best insurance rates.
- AARP membership fees: If you want to enjoy the AARP insurance discount, you’ll need to pay a membership fee.
How to Know if it’s a Good Fit For You
If you are looking for an insurance company to offer you a discount as an AARP member, then The Hartford is a great option. Not only will you find a discount on your policy, but also a wide range of coverage options to suit your needs.
You won’t have to worry about a negative claim experience. With the company’s reputation for extremely high claim satisfaction ratings, you should have a good experience.
But The Hartford isn’t for everyone. A big disadvantage of working with this company is that you might miss out on a more affordable option through other car insurance companies.
The good news is that it’s easy to find the best options. It will only take a few minutes to compare quotes with us to make sure you don’t overpay. What are you waiting for? Take advantage of this free resource today!
Frequently Asked Questions about AARP insurance
Who can buy car insurance from AARP?
You can only join AARP if you are 50 years old or older. If you are an AARP member, you can purchase insurance through The Hartford. As an AARP member, you will receive a discount when purchasing insurance through The Hartford. But you can purchase insurance policies from The Hartford whether or not you are an AARP member.
Is car insurance through AARP good?
AARP itself isn’t a car insurance provider. Instead, you can find an exclusive AARP discount available through The Hartford. The policies available offer a wide range of coverage opportunities. Plus, the company has a great reputation for claim satisfaction. Overall, you should expect a good experience with The Hartford.
Where can I find out more about AARP insurance?
AARP members have an edge when looking for most insurance products. Whether you are looking for health insurance, term life insurance, long-term care insurance or car insurance, checking out your AARP state page will let you know what additional benefits you may qualify for as an AARP member.