Compare.com is an innovative technology startup based in Richmond, Virginia, that’s currently exploding in growth. We’re reinventing the way people buy car insurance and breathing life and simplicity into a process that no one regards as easy. We’re well-backed too by the second largest auto insurer in the United Kingdom, Admiral Group Plc. Much like you think Kleenex is another name for tissue, we’re going to be the same for online comparison shopping. If you want to work at the intersection of cutting-edge technology and car insurance to redefine an entire industry, then you’re in the right spot.
THE PERSON & THE CULTURE
So what’s it like to be an employee of compare.com? At compare.com, we are different, maybe even a bit counter culture. We firmly and wholeheartedly believe that people who like what they do, do it better and we go out of our way to ensure that coming to work is enjoyable. Doing the job and doing it well is the key no matter who you are. At compare.com we are a team, we work as a team and if we fall, we fall as a team and lean on each other to pick us up. Effective interaction with the team is required just as is challenging each other’s ideas to come to the best possible solution. We are looking for someone who comes with a wealth of good ideas on their own but also recognizes the inherent creativity in all of us and accepts willingly that the next great idea may not be their own genesis. Flexibility is key, as we plan for long-term but adjust continuously.
Compare.com offers an honest and open culture and every member of our staff is treated as an equal. Achievement is recognized and rewarded, but most of all coming to work is fun. We work hard to produce high-quality work but we like to play hard as well. There are many fun things to do at compare.com to help the average workday go by; a Lego wall board to bring the kid out in you, or a treadmill and exercise bike to use while typing that email, or if you just want to sit and read a book we have a library area for you. Every day is a fun day at compare.com, now the question is, does this sound appealing to you!
The Architect will be responsible for the overall technical design and composition of the solution. The Architect will work as a team member in conjunction with the IT Managers and Business Owners to ensure delivery of the complete solution(s) for compare.com. The candidate will also be able to think holistically and act as a technology evangelist in the effort of continually evaluating and reviewing the technical direction of the organization.
The ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record in delivering and managing Internet-based solutions respective to the Microsoft technology stack (e.g., MS Azure, ASP.NET/C#, Angular JS, MVC, Azure Service Bus, BizTalk, SQL Server, etc.). This candidate will contribute to the design, maintenance, enhancement, communication and governance of enterprise architecture in the technology domain. The candidate will also be very comfortable operating in the dynamic environment of a burgeoning technical organization with a rapidly expanding customer base. The selected candidate must be organized and analytical, adept at working in a team environment, able to follow and implement a project schedule, and is capable of handling multiple priorities concurrently.
- Responsible for all technical decisions ranging from code to high-level system design
- Assess the immediate and long-term strategic goals of compare.com and develops and maintains the IT Roadmap
- Assess and recommend appropriate technologies in order to meet the strategic goals of compare.com
- Leads the design and implementation efforts for the introduction of new product launches
- Responsible for ensuring sound software development characteristics/practices are applied (e.g., modularity, flexibility, etc.)
- Maintains the definition and documentation of architectural standards, processes and operating models
- Liaising with technical team members on issues relating to best-practice, guidance, and established standards
- Socializes information with IT team members on new technology trends, products and emerging design patterns
- Supports the integration of dev-ops and testing automation into the fabric of IT operations
- Present business cases to senior management toward the effort of justifying recommended technologies
- Continually keeps informed/aware of the changing technology landscape
- Evaluates and gains consensus on technical solutions
- Managing expectations from both the business and technical perspectives
- Provide mentorship to development team members
- 5-10% of time allocated for international travel
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 2+ years of technical leadership and architecture experience in software development
- 5+ years of full-stack experience designing and delivering large scale distributed systems
- Strong application-focused background
- Demonstrated full MS Stack knowledge
- Strong understanding of new and emerging technologies, in particular, mobile and cloud-based computing (e.g., platform as a service, infrastructure as a service, etc.)
- In-depth cloud platform experience (preferably MS Azure)
- Robust understanding and experience of SOA and EAI principles
- Experience with BizTalk and Azure Service Bus
- High proficiency in Agile development and testing methodologies
- Able to effectively communicate and negotiate with functional business leaders (e.g., Marketing, Product Development, Corporate/Finance and Analytics, etc.)
- Possess excellent communication skills and able to deliver both classroom based and one-on-one training on topics ranging from concepts to coding practices
- Ability to assess and recommend cost-effective technologies in accordance with the company’s strategic objectives
- Must be able to quickly grasp the application’s overarching design and ensure development is executed in accordance with present design
- Experience in submitting proof of concepts for technical changes
- Ability to drive change through persuasion and consensus
- Experience managing offshore teams
- Well organized and self-motivated
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- To be willing and able to advocate software development best practices
- Experience working with technical products, vendors, and families of technologies
- Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related discipline is required
- Microsoft accreditation(s) is preferred
At this time, compare.com will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Compare.com is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and promotes a drug-free environment.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.