Compare.com is an innovative technology startup that’s currently exploding in growth. We’re reinventing the way people buy car insurance and breathing life and simplicity into a process that no one regards as easy. We’re well-backed too by the second largest auto insurer in the United Kingdom, Admiral Group Plc. Much like you think Kleenex is another name for tissue, we’re going to be the same for online comparison shopping. If you want to work at the intersection of cutting-edge technology and car insurance to redefine an entire industry, then you’re in the right spot.
THE PERSON & THE CULTURE
So what’s it like to be an employee of compare.com? At compare.com, we are different, maybe even a bit counter culture. We firmly and wholeheartedly believe that people who like what they do, do it better and we go out of our way to ensure that coming to work is enjoyable. Doing the job and doing it well is the key no matter who you are. At compare.com we are a team, we work as a team and if we fall, we fall as a team and lean on each other to pick us up. Effective interaction with the team is required just as is challenging each other’s ideas to come to the best possible solution. We are looking for someone who comes with a wealth of good ideas on their own but also recognizes the inherent creativity in all of us and accepts willingly that the next great idea may not be their own genesis. Flexibility is key, as we plan for long-term but adjust continuously.
Compare.com offers an honest and open culture and every member of our staff is treated as an equal. Achievement is recognized and rewarded, but most of all coming to work is fun. We work hard to produce high quality work but we like to play hard as well. There are many fun things to do at compare.com to help the average workday go by; a Lego wall board to bring the kid out in you, or a treadmill and exercise bike to use while typing that email, or if you just want to sit and read a book we have a library area for you. Every day is a fun day at compare.com, now the question is, does this sound appealing to you?
The position level will be based on the experience of the right candidate. As a Developer on our team, you are a self-motivated individual who fully understands and have a passion for software development processes. You are highly skilled and enjoy working with cutting edge technologies such as AngularJS, Microsoft Azure, continuous integration (CI), source control, automated unit testing, end-to-end client side testing tools and ASP.NET MVC just to name a few. You also prefer to work in agile manner as you understand that leveraging these technologies allow you to write better software and deliver value to the business in a more timely fashion. We are looking for candidates who are excellent communicators, as well as analytical, self-starting and organized. He or she will also be capable of dealing with ambiguity and rapidly-changing priorities, with a strong desire to take on more responsibility as they grow. If what you’ve read so far describes and/or excites you and you share a similar love of technology, this might be the job for you!
- Self-driven, reliable and determined team player
- Flexible and able to adapt to new processes and requirements in a dynamic environment
- Positive outlook and desire to drive and instill Technical Excellence within the IT dept.
- Strong, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical people as and when required
- Ability to produce, implement and improve on automated strategies
- Work with developers to review code when required, ensure best practices are employed and all processes and coding standards are observed
- Ability to plan and manage own workload within multiple projects, delivering results within agreed deadlines
- Ability to review existing standards and processes, and implement improvements as they are identified
- Proactively demonstrate new ideas and innovation
- Working with product owner and developers in owning and committing to product backlog items
- Collaboration in the analysis process, translating requirements into specifications for detailed design
- Developing, troubleshooting and debugging of complex software
- Documentation of work tasks such as code and technical specification
- Knowledge of software design and development techniques
- Experience as a C# developer within a Microsoft.Net environment, to include .NET 4, WCF, Entity Framework, Unity Dependency Injection, Fakes and Stubs
- Experience with SQL Server (2008 or above), ideally with exposure to SSIS and SSRS preferred
- Proficient with XML and XSLT
- Proficient with Version Control Systems, TFS is a plus
- Understanding of enterprise-scale development technologies and issues (e.g. service bus, testability, redundancy and scalability, IIS Hosted Services, including bindings, transports etc.)
- Experience of working in an Agile environment and the ability to provide technical knowledge
- Knowledgeable of cloud platforms, Microsoft Azure is a plus
EDUCATION & PRIOR EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Computer Science or related discipline is required
- Microsoft accreditation(s) is preferred
At this time, compare.com will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Compare.com is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace and promotes a drug-free environment.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.