How to Cancel Travelers Insurance and Find a Better Rate
At Compare.com, it’s our mission to find simple ways to help our customers save money on the things they need. While we partner with some of the companies and brands we talk about in our articles, all of our content is written and reviewed by our independent editorial team and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn about how we make money, review our editorial standards, and reference our data methodology to learn more about why you can trust Compare.com.
Founded in 1853, Travelers Insurance is one of the largest and most reputable insurance companies in the United States. But even with superb coverage options and above-average customer service, it’s not always the best choice for every driver.
Whether you were in an at-fault accident, got a speeding ticket, moved, or added another driver to your policy, rates and availability for Travelers can change. Regardless of your reason, the time may come when you need to learn how to cancel Travelers Insurance. Find out how to cancel the policy quickly and without hassle, as well as what to do afterward.
Replace Travelers — Check Out Your Options
Replace Travelers — Check Out Your Options
How to Cancel Travelers Insurance Quickly and Easily
Unlike changing or increasing your auto insurance coverage, canceling a policy requires you to jump through a few more hoops, but that’s by design. Insurance companies don’t want to make the cancellation process easy, at least without giving you a reason to reconsider. But if your mind’s made up, you can learn how to cancel your Travelers Insurance policy through one of the following ways.
Get All Your Information Ready
Before you cancel your Travelers Insurance, streamline the process by having all of the relevant information at hand, including:
- Your Travelers car insurance policy number, which you can find on the mobile app, online, or on your insurance card orproof of insurance.
- The date that you want to cancel your policy
- Details of your replacement car insurance policy, if possible
Regardless of how you cancel, you will need this information to successfully complete the Travelers Insurance cancellation process.
How to Cancel Travelers Insurance By Phone
The quickest and most direct way to cancel your Travelers Insurance is by phone. Armed with the information above, you can call customer service at 1-800-842-5075. Follow the prompts and inform the customer service agent that you want to cancel your policy.
You may get a bit of a sales pitch because they want to keep you as a customer, but remain polite and firm to cancel your policy. The representative should give you a confirmation number and information about when you’ll receive the prorated portion of your reimbursement.
How to Cancel Travelers Insurance in Person
If you’re more of a face-to-face person, you can always visit a local agent to cancel your insurance. Schedule an appointment with your local Travelers Insurance agent, tell them you want to cancel, and you’re good to go.
How to Cancel Travelers Insurance By Mail
If you want to cancel your Travelers Insurance and you’re out of the country or unable to reach them by phone or in person, you can also cancel by mail. However, you will need to write a cancellation letter that contains the following information:
- Your name
- Policyholder number
- Request for the cancellation of automatic debit payments, if applicable
- Ways to contact you, including your phone number, email, and address
- Your signature to make the letter legally binding
- Date you want to cancel your policy
- Request for the reimbursement of your unused premium
Once you draft the letter, print it, and mail it to:
P.O. Box 5600
Hartford, CT 06102
Note that the Travelers cancellation process can take up to two weeks to complete, so be patient and do it well in advance.
Can You Cancel Online or Through the Mobile App?
Unfortunately, you cannot cancel your Travelers Insurance either online or through the mobile app. In fact, no insurance companies allow you to cancel car insurance through these methods to avoid accidentally canceling your coverage and causing a lapse in your legally required auto insurance.
Does Travelers Charge a Cancellation Fee?
Your Travelers policy can be canceled for any reason at any time, and the company will never charge a cancellation fee. This is a huge bonus compared to many other providers that often charge up to 10% of your unused car insurance premium.
Travelers will also reimburse you for the remaining amount of your prepaid car insurance policy. For example, if you paid for a year in full for $1,200, but you only used two months’ worth of coverage, you would get reimbursement for $1,000 either by check or on your credit card.
Reimbursement times vary, but expect to wait up to 10 business days to receive your reimbursement.
Why Would I Want to Cancel Travelers Insurance?
Several things may cause you to want to cancel your Travelers Insurance policy. While some of these are a matter of preference such as customer service, hearing negative reviews, or a bad experience, other times may force your hand. Here are some reasons why you may want to cancel your Travelers policy:
- You’re moving to one of the eight states that Travelers doesn’t offer car insurance coverage: Alaska, Louisiana, Hawaii, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, or Wyoming.
- You’re dissatisfied with the rate of your auto insurance policy.
- You had a change of circumstance or another factor that could cause your rate to increase, such as adding a child or spouse to your policy, a sizable decrease in your credit score, a traffic ticket, a claim, or the purchase of a new or more expensive vehicle.
- You read more positive insurance reviews with another company.
- You find a more affordable car insurance rate with another insurance provider by comparing quotes, or you just want to see what other insurance quotes are out there.
Car insurance rates can change at any time, even if none of the above has happened to you. However, reassessing your car insurance needs and shopping around with different car insurance companies every six to 12 months can amount to significant savings.
Considerations Before Your Travelers Insurance Cancellation
If you’re otherwise satisfied with Travelers, don’t cancel until you consider a few other facets. Your Travelers agent is often willing to hear why you’re canceling your policy, and oftentimes, they’ll make every effort to keep you as a customer.
Before you switch insurance companies, negotiate. Talk to a Travelers representative or agent about matching the rate offered to you by a rival company. They may match it — they may not. But the worst thing they can say is no.
You can also use the FAQ on the Travelers website if you have any questions or concerns with your policy prior to canceling.
Take Advantage of Discounts
In addition, you should make sure that you’re taking advantage of all of Travelers discounts. Travelers applies some discounts automatically, but other discounts may require you to do a little legwork. So before you cancel, find out if you’re eligible for these discounts:
- Bundle home insurance and auto insurance to get a discount of up to 13%.
- Add another car to your Travelers policy to take advantage of their multi-car discount.
- Inform Travelers that you own a home. Homeowners can often get discounts compared to renters due to a lower perceived risk of insurance coverage, even if your homeowners insurance isn’t with Travelers.
- Ask about a new car or a hybrid/electric car discount.
- If you have a younger driver, inquire about a good student discount. Travelers will offer a discount to students aged 25 or under that maintain a B-average.
- If you have a college student in the house, they live more than 100 miles away, and won’t be driving their car, you can get a Student Away at School Discount.
- Complete a Travelers-approved defensive driving or driver’s education course to get another discount.
The Final Step: Shop Around Before You Cancel
Now that you’ve learned how to cancel Travelers Insurance, don’t make the critical error of failing to find a new car insurance policy beforehand. If you cancel your Travelers policy before you have a new policy in place, you risk huge increases to your premium and potential legal issues due to a lapse in coverage.
If you decide to cancel Travelers, take the preemptive step of shopping for free quotes with Compare.com. In just minutes, you can compare and contrast car insurance rates and coverage options that are every bit as good or better than your Travelers policy was. So if you want to save money on your car insurance, enter your ZIP code below and find the rate that gels with your budget.
Travelers Quote Increased? Find Better Rates Here
Travelers Quote Increased? Find Better Rates Here
Compare Car Insurance Quotes
Compare.com’s #1 goal is to save you money. We publish resources that are based on hard-hitting data and years of industry experience to help you make more informed decisions with your wallet.
- All of Compare.com’s content is written and reviewed for accuracy by a team of experienced writers and editors who are experts on the topics they cover.
- None of Compare.com’s content is ever influenced by the companies and brands we partner with.
- Compare.com’s editorial team operates independently of any of the company’s partnership or business development interests. We publish unbiased information strictly for the benefit of our readers.
- All of the content you see on Compare.com is based on comprehensive analysis and all data is gathered and vetted from trustworthy sources.
Learn more about us, our team, and what makes us tick.