At Compare.com, it’s our mission to find simple ways to help our customers save money on the things they need. While we partner with some of the companies and brands we talk about in our articles, all of our content is written and reviewed by our independent editorial team and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn about how we make money, review our editorial standards, and reference our data methodology to learn more about why you can trust Compare.com.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance
You own a vehicle and know that to protect it, you need quality auto insurance. You’re not just looking for good – you want the best car insurance on the market. But, the best is subjective. Finding the right company might vary based on your age, driving record, military status or even your gender. So, how do you find the best car insurance company for you?
We’ve compiled a list of the top insurance options specific to you.
Best Car Insurance Companies Based on Your Age
Did you know your car insurance rates can vary based on how old you are? Teenage drivers tend to have the highest premiums because they lack experience, which makes them more likely to be involved in collisions. Rates drop slightly once you age out of your teenage years, but will remain high until you reach your 25th birthday. You might see another change in rates once you turn 65 years old. That’s when insurance companies expect your age to again impact your driving habits.
These are the best car insurance companies based on your age.
Best for Teen Drivers
Since teen drivers lack much experience behind the wheel, you definitely want them to have the best insurance coverage available. Pair that with their higher than average rates and finding quality coverage within your budget can be a challenge. Thankfully, we have a list of great insurers that make your insuring a teen driver a great experience.
Read More: The Best Insurance for Teenage Drivers in 2023
Best for 18 Year Old Drivers
At 18 years old, you’re still a high risk driver. That’s why you want to find the best insurance coverage that caters to your stage in life and insurance needs. We researched insurers that offer the quality coverage you need.
Read More: The Best Car Insurance Companies for 18 Year Olds
Best for Drivers Under 25 Years Old
Finding quality car insurance as a young driver under 25 years old can be tricky, but it’s not impossible. At this age you’re facing higher rates than you would after your 25th birthday, so, while price is a major factor, you want to consider other aspects of the company in making your decision. When finding the best auto insurance company you can look at what’s important to you such as available discounts, customer service, coverage options and app technology.
Read More: Best Car Insurance for Young Drivers
Best for 50 Year Old Drivers
At 50 years old, you’re familiar with how to find car insurance, but securing the best coverage might still leave you with a few questions. We’ve compiled a list of the best insurers that serve you during this stage in life.
Read More: Best Car Insurance Companies for 50 Year Old Drivers
Best Car Insurance Companies Based on Your Gender
In most states, auto insurance companies use your gender as a factor when determining your insurance premium. That’s because data shows men are more likely to engage in risky driving behavior than women. Therefore, to take on that added risk, insurance companies charge higher rates. If you live in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina or Pennsylvania, insurers are prohibited from factoring in gender when setting premiums.
These are the best car insurance companies based on your gender.
Best Car Insurance Companies for Women
There are more female drivers on the road now than ever before. So women it’s important for women to find quality auto insurance to protect their vehicle and finances. We’ve put together a list of top auto insurance companies for female drivers along with more info on how your gender impacts your auto insurance premiums.
Read More: The Best Car Insurance Companies for Women
Best Car Insurance Companies Based on Your Marital Status
When on the hunt for the best auto insurance company, be sure to keep your marital status in mind. Not only can your insurance premium change if you’re married, single or divorced, but so can your process of finding the best insurer.
Best Car Insurance Companies for Married Drivers
When you get married you can decide to combine your auto insurance policy with your spouse or maintain separate plans. Depending on your driving record and personal preference, there are pros and cons both ways. We’ve compiled a list of the best auto insurers for married drivers.
Read More: Best Car Insurance Companies for Married Drivers
Best Car Insurance Companies Based on Your Driving Record
If you have a perfect driving record, it’s easy to find quality auto insurance with just about any company. However, if you have a few marks on your driving history – whether it’s an accident, ticket or DUI – finding quality coverage can get trickier. Thankfully, there are options for everyone. Some auto insurance companies specialize in working with high risk drivers or offer programs that still allow you to have affordable coverage.
Here are the best car insurance companies based on your driving record.
Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers With an Accident on Their Record
If you have an accident on your record, it can be more challenging (and costly) to get the best auto insurance. That’s because insurers might consider you a high-risk driver. It’s important to find quality coverage no matter your driving history, so check out this list of top auto insurance companies for drivers with an accident on their record.
Read More: The Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers After an Accident
Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers With a DUI
Being convicted of driving under the influence adds several hurdles to getting quality auto insurance. Many insurers will drop your coverage when it’s time to renew or significantly increase your premiums.
Read More: The Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers With a DUI
How Do I Find the Best Car Insurance Company?
With hundreds of car insurance providers offering coverage in 51 insurance districts in the U.S., it can be a difficult task to find the best car insurance company for you and your specific insurance needs. Not to worry, we have some great tips on how to sift through all those car insurance companies.
When it comes to finding the right coverage, everyone’s needs differ. The best car insurance company for one person may not always a good car insurance company for the next. This is why it’s important to do your research before making your final choice. We have put together a few tips to help get you started on finding the insurer that’s right for you.
1. Check Your State’s Insurance Department Website
Each state in the U.S. has an insurance department which is responsible for regulating auto insurers within that state. Their website can be a valuable resource for information such as complaint filings and licensing information. Additionally, many state insurance department websites make public car insurance companies’ insurance rate filings. This means you can see how often each insurance provider requests to raise its rates, as well as how often those requests are granted.
2. Check the Insurance Company’s Financial Rating
Car insurance providers are financial institutions and as such, it’s important to know their rating to understand how secure the company is (and that it’s not overextending itself, or insuring more than it can afford to pay). Two of the top financial rating groups are:
- Standard & Poor’s
- More commonly known as S&P
- A.M. Best
- A.M. Best is particularly important as they specifically rate insurance companies.
3. Research Online Customer Reviews of Insurers
While the ratings of insurance and financial analysts are very important, when it comes to figuring out whether or not you’ll be happy with a certain car insurance company, you need to see what their customers think of them. Look for specific information, such as the ease of filing an insurance claim, the length of time it takes the company to settle an insurance claim and how easy it is to reach an agent or customer service professional.
Customer service is a great measure for determining the best car insurance company for you.
4. Compare Car Insurance Rates
It’s usually not a good idea to pick the first car insurance company you find. Typically, you’ll want to compare car insurance rates from at least 3-4 companies before making your final selection. Take the time to review both large insurers and smaller car insurers.
If you enjoy saving time, Compare.com can compare multiple car insurance quotes from some of the best insurance brands instantly. You enter your information only once and can compare quotes side by side to find the best price.
By taking these steps to find the best car insurance company for your situation, you’ll know exactly what you’re getting and can rest assured that you’ll be happy with the service you receive from your chosen auto insurance company.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I choose a car insurance company?
The process of finding a quality car insurance company will depend on what you need and want from an insurer. When you start your search the first thing you should do is write a list of the things you’re seeking from an auto insurance company. Maybe you want several online customer service options or perhaps you’re seeking certain discounts. Once you know what you’re looking for, it’ll be easier to narrow down your options. Comparing auto insurance quotes and company ratings can also help you make your decision.
How can I find the best price on car insurance?
The best way to find a low rate on auto insurance is to get quotes from different companies. You can use our auto insurance comparison calculator to compare rates from 65+ top insurers in minutes.
Which company has the highest customer satisfaction rating?
According to the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, these auto insurance companies have the highest satisfaction ratings in these geographic regions.
- California: Wawanesa
- Central: Shelter
- Florida: The Hartford
- Mid-Atlantic: Erie Insurance
- New England: Amica Mutual
- New York: New York Central Mutual
- North Central: Erie Insurance
- Northwest: The Hartford
- Southeast: Farm Bureau Insurance – Tennessee
- Southwest: State Farm
- Texas: Texas Farm Bureau
Compare.com’s #1 goal is to save you money. We publish resources that are based on hard-hitting data and years of industry experience to help you make more informed decisions with your wallet.
- All of Compare.com’s content is written and reviewed for accuracy by a team of experienced writers and editors who are experts on the topics they cover.
- None of Compare.com’s content is ever influenced by the companies and brands we partner with.
- Compare.com’s editorial team operates independently of any of the company’s partnership or business development interests. We publish unbiased information strictly for the benefit of our readers.
- All of the content you see on Compare.com is based on comprehensive analysis and all data is gathered and vetted from trustworthy sources.
Learn more about us, our team, and what makes us tick.
- The Best Insurance Companies for SR22 Insurance
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Military Members
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for New Drivers Over 21
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Students
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for 18 Year Olds
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for a New Car
- The Best Multi Policy Insurance Companies
- The Best Rideshare Insurance Companies
- The Best Insurance for Teenage Drivers in 2023
- The Best Gap Insurance Coverage Options
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Multiple Cars
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Luxury Cars
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for 50 Year Old Drivers
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers After an Accident
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers With a Speeding Ticket
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Women
- The Best Temporary Car Insurance Companies
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Married Drivers
- The Best Car Insurance for Drivers With a Suspended License
- Your Guide to the Best Low-Income Car Insurance Companies
- Which Companies Have the Best Non-Owners Car Insurance?
- How to Find the Best Insurance for High-Risk Drivers
- What Is the Best Car Insurance for Full Coverage?
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers Under 25
- The Best Companies for Liability Car Insurance
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Unlicensed Drivers
- Which Companies Have the Best Comprehensive Car Insurance?
- The Best Car Insurance Companies for Drivers with a DUI
- How to Find the Best Car Insurance with Bad Credit
- Your Guide to the Best Classic Car Insurance Companies
- How to Find the Best Car Insurance for Families
- Your Guide to the Best Auto Insurance for Seniors
- How to Get the Best Car Insurance for Young Drivers
- 25 Best Car Insurers for Millennials
- Compare The Best Car Insurance Apps