Why choose National General Insurance?
- You can call their toll-free claims line 24-hours a day, 365 days a year
- Their flexible payment options allow you to pay in full or by instalments – whatever fits your budget
- Make a quick payment online at a time and location that suits you
Did you know...?
- AM Best has rated National General Auto Insurance as A- ‘excellent’
- They have nearly 80 years’ experience in the auto insurance industry
- If you drive a car in the GM family (Chevrolet, Buick or Cadillac etc.) you may qualify for additional discounts
- Customer Service: 888-293-5108
- Claims: 800-325-1088
- National General Insurance, 5630 University Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC 27105
All About National General Insurance
As one of the largest car insurance providers in the United States, National General Insurance Company has steadily grown its insurance products portfolio. First established in 1939 as the Motors Insurance Corporation, National General Insurance changed its name in 2013, moving to its current location in Winston Salem, North Carolina.
Their licensed insurance agents specialize in assisting drivers just like you to find all types of insurance, including affordable car insurance and home insurance. National General understands the stress and potential added costs that can come with a bad driving record, working to help policyholders get back on the road as quickly as possible.
With their suite of ‘SmartServices,’ National General Insurance offers extras you can add to your policy, like total loss car replacement, towing, and car rental. In addition, if you use one of National General’s Gold Medal Repair shops, your collision repair is guaranteed. If you’re not happy after the repairs, they’ll even waive your deductible up to $250.
You can report a claim 24 hours a day, with most small claims paid within 48 hours. You can even phone in minor claims. Should the worst happen and you’re stranded following an accident, National General will cover up to $750 in food and lodging.
How Does National General Auto Insurance Work?
With National General Insurance Company, you can choose from multiple payment options.
You can pay your bill online, and if you opt to receive paperless statements, you may be eligible for a discount on your premium. You may also get a discount for paying your insurance policy in full rather than choosing to be billed monthly.
Alternatively, you can always put your monthly bill on autopay, so it’s one less thing to keep up with.
Like any automobile insurance company, National General might increase your rates if you’re in an accident. However, they weigh multiple factors before deciding to increase your premiums:
- Claims history: National General considers whether you’ve been a safe driver for years or if you’ve been involved in several accidents within a short period.
- Cause of accident: They also investigate each claim to determine the cause. If you were at fault, you might see your premium increase. If the other driver was at fault, they might not change your rate.
- Accident severity: National General also considers the seriousness of the accident. Larger claims are more likely to result in an increased premium.
National General offers 24/7 claims reporting, so you can file your claim immediately, no matter what time of day an accident occurs. In addition, they make it easy for you to report your claim over the phone or online. You’ll need your policy number, username, and password to file a claim online.
National General backs up its claims services with a satisfaction guarantee. If unsatisfied with your service, National General will waive deductibles up to $250. Most claims are paid within 48 hours.
If an accident leaves you in a tight spot out of town, National General’s emergency expense allowance can help. This allowance covers up to $250 per day of your food, lodging, and travel expenses. This coverage can make it easier to navigate the time right after an accident where you might be stuck far from home and without transportation.
National General also stands behind the quality of vehicle repairs. If you have your car repaired at the company’s Gold Medal Repair Shops, those repairs are guaranteed for your vehicle’s lifetime.
National General Discounts
You can save money in multiple ways with National General:
- Low mileage discount: If you drive less than 15,000 miles a year, you could save up to 54% on your premium.
- Affinity discount: Being part of a recognized organization or association like the NAIC could help you save.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Insure more than one vehicle with National General for a discount.
- OnStar discount: If your vehicle comes equipped with OnStar, you could save up to 20% on your premium.
- Safe driver discount: Prove you’ve taken a defensive driver course, and you could save a pretty penny on your annual rate.
- Paid in full discount: Choose to pay your premium in full instead of making monthly payments to take advantage of a discounted premium.
National General Car Insurance Coverage Options
All National General customers can choose between multiple coverage options to customize their insurance needs and budget. These coverage options include state minimum liability or full coverage auto policies with comprehensive and collision insurance:
- Bodily injury liability: This coverage helps pay for expenses related to the injuries or deaths you might have caused in an accident. These expenses may include medical bills and funeral costs.
- Property damage liability: Suppose you’re at fault for an accident. In that case, your property damage liability coverage may help pay for the damage that you’ve caused to other vehicles and property like mailboxes, fences, and yards.
- Collision coverage: Regardless of whether you or another driver is at fault, your collision coverage pays for an accident’s expenses. For example, this coverage might include paying fees for towing and vehicle repair work.
- Comprehensive coverage: Sometimes, you must pay repair costs from events other than car accidents. Comprehensive coverage may include damage caused by weather, fallen trees, theft, and hitting an animal while driving.
- Medical payment: A medical payment policy helps pay for medical bills resulting from an accident.
- Uninsured motorist: If you’re ever in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist, this extra coverage helps to ensure full expense coverage, so you don’t have an unnecessary loss. In addition, it often covers related expenses such as rental car bills and car repairs.
- Underinsured motorist: Similar to uninsured motorist insurance, underinsured motorist coverage helps to cover the difference remaining once the other motorist’s insurance has paid out to its maximum limits. In addition, this coverage makes sure you aren’t left with unpaid expenses.
- Personal injury protection: Personal injury protection coverage pays for lost wages incurred after an accident.
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance coverage can cover all or a portion of the costs of emergency services like towing, roadside auto changes, and more.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment: Accidental death and dismemberment coverage provides lump sum payments if you’re in an accident that results in a death or the loss of a limb. These payments vary depending on the injury. If resulting in death, payments go to the beneficiary.
While you’re only required to meet your state’s minimum insurance requirements, having some additional coverage can help reduce your financial risk in an accident. You’ll need to consider the amount of risk you’re comfortable with and the premium you can afford to decide which coverages, deductibles, and limits you want to include on your policy.
National General Insurance Quotes
Here are some of the monthly premiums various types of drivers can expect to pay with an auto insurance policy from National General:
- Teen drivers: Car insurance for teen drivers averages $113 per month.
- Young drivers: The average monthly insurance premium for young drivers ages 20-25 is $112 per month.
- Retired drivers: Once you hit retirement age (65+), you can expect to pay around $52 a month for car insurance.
- Female versus male drivers: Gender can play a role in your monthly premium. Women pay slightly less than men for National General auto insurance, at $64 per month compared to $69 per month.
- Married drivers: Married drivers pay an average of $56 a month for car insurance. If you’re not married, expect to pay around $69 per month for auto insurance.
- Drivers with a poor driving record: You’ll pay around $81 for your monthly insurance premium if you have a ticket on your record. If you have more than one ticket on your record, then get ready to pay around $100 per month.
- Drivers with a history of accidents: With one accident on your record, your car insurance will be about $92 a month. You’ll pay closer to $120 monthly if you have multiple accidents on your record.
Where is National General Car Insurance Available?
National General auto insurance is widely available, though its claims service satisfaction guarantee is not available in Washington. To find out if insurance is available in your specific location, you can get a National General insurance quote online or call 1-800-462-2123 to speak with a representative.
National General Insurance Reviews
National General car insurance has a 1.47 out of 5-star rating on the Better Business Bureau, which is lower than average. Its BBB profile reports 375 complaints closed in the last 12 months.
Similarly, National General also has a 1-star rating on Yelp’s 5-star scale, based on over 100 reviews. John B. of North Carolina wrote, “Their claim center call tree is only a loop and redirects you to the start every time. On the only occasion that I got a real person on the line, they immediately put me back in the call tree.”
John H. of California called National General a “horrible company with worst customer service.” He reports that it took National General nearly four months to decide to total his car after an accident.
Pros and Cons of National General Car Insurance
We recommend weighing the company’s pros and cons to decide if National General is right for you.
- Guaranteed satisfaction for claims service: National General will waive deductibles up to $250 if you’re not satisfied with the service you receive on your claim.
- Emergency expense allowance: If you file a covered claim, National General will offer quick reimbursement of up to $250 per day in expenses like food, lodging, and travel.
- Claims repairs are guaranteed: When you have your vehicle repaired at a Gold Medal Repair Shop, expect guaranteed repairs for your vehicle’s lifespan.
- Coverage available after a DUI or DWI: While many insurance companies will exclude drivers who have received a DUI or DWI, National General offers DUI insurance that can get you back on the road, a must-have for high-risk drivers.
- No mobile app: While you can manage your plan and pay your bill online, National General lacks the convenience of an app that you can download.
- Low customer satisfaction rating: Many customers have experienced less than stellar service with National General, so you want to consider that.
FAQs About National General Insurance
What information do I need to get a National General insurance quote?
National General will need a driver’s license number for every person you want to include on your policy, as well as a Vehicle Identification Number for each vehicle you insure. If you have a current auto insurance policy, having details about the policy can be helpful in the quote process. You’ll also need to provide the lienholder’s name and address with leased or financed vehicles.
Once you’re ready to buy insurance, National General accepts most major credit and debit cards.
How quickly are claims processed?
National General reports that you can file your claim 24/7, with most claims paid within 48 hours of filing.
Will my insurance rate go up if I’m in an accident?
Being in an accident doesn’t guarantee that your premium will increase. National General weighs multiple factors, including the accident’s cause and severity when determining if it’s necessary to increase your premium.
How do National General insurance quotes compare with those from other insurance providers?
The only way to know how National General car insurance rates compare to other car insurance companies is to request a free quote. Simply enter your ZIP code here to see multiple car insurance quotes side-by-side: