Why choose The General® Auto Insurance?
- Download The General® free app where you can view your car insurance policy information and even make payments
- Car insurance policyholders can choose 6 or 12 month policies, depending on your budget
- Always losing your insurance ID card? You can get easy access to your car insurance policy information through The General® app, then it’s always with you
Did you know...?
- The General® boasts 50 years of experience when writing car insurance with their customers
- In Louisiana? Swing by one of their retail stores and meet the team
- The General® mascot and spokesman Shaquille O’Neal are just as famous as the The General® brand – super-fans can buy hats, t-shirts and mugs with these notable figures
- To view this page in Spanish, Click Here
- Customer Service: 866-519-7422
- Claims: 800-280-1466
- The General® Insurance, 2636 Elm Hill Pike, Suite 510, Nashville, TN 37214
- [email protected]
What Is The General® Car Insurance?
No one’s a perfect driver, and The General® understands that. That’s why they pride themselves on saying yes when other insurance companies say no.
The General® car insurance is a saving grace for many drivers because they provide auto insurance coverage even to drivers who may have multiple driving tickets, a history of accidents. or a poor credit score. They also provide custom options to make paying for insurance easier, such as choosing your own car insurance payment date, flexible payment plans and low down payments.
Based in Nashville, Tennessee, The General® car insurance is entirely customer focused. They invest in technology to make things as easy as possible for you to get a car insurance quote and sign up for insurance. Their agents have electronic verification programs to ensure that they can get you the best price on car insurance with no surprises.
The General® will help you secure the car insurance coverage you need in the most convenient way possible, whether that’s by phone, online, or through a local agent.
There are plenty of benefits to insuring your vehicle with The General® Auto Insurance. As soon as you’ve bought your policy, you can instantly print off proof of purchase. Plus, their free claims line means policyholders can speak to a representative 24/7, and you can file claims or check on the status of an existing claim whenever needed.
The General® Automobile Insurance Services, Inc., is part of PGC Holdings Corp. (PGC). It’s been owned by American Family Insurance since 2013. American Family Insurance is one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S., with over $20 billion in assets.
So, is The General® the best insurer for you and your vehicle? Let’s take a closer look at what types of insurance they offer and whether they have the best rates for you.
The General® Car Insurance Reviews
|Clearsurance||3.7/5 –797 reviews|
The General® car insurance reviews show high marks for customer satisfaction — which isn’t always the case for companies that specialize in nonstandard insurance. 70% of customers say they’re likely to renew their policy, and 66% would recommend The General® to a friend.
Many The General® car insurance reviews say that the coverage is both high quality and affordable, and the customer service is prompt and friendly, providing a high level of customer satisfaction overall.
The Better Business Bureau gives The General® an A+ rating for its business practices, and its reviews with the BBB are favorable, with few customer complaints.
It’s financially sound, too, which means you can rely on the company to pay future claims. Its parent company, American Family Mutual Insurance Company, holds a financial strength rating of A, according to the AM Best methodology.
Employee assessment is less enthusiastic than The General® car insurance reviews, but many employees praise the flexible schedule and good benefits.
The company rates 3.4 out of 5 on Glassdoor.
How Much Can I Save?
The General® car insurance doesn’t offer as many insurance discounts as other providers do, but then again, it doesn’t need to — The General’s affordable rates speak for themselves.
Still, here’s a look at a few discounts The General® features.
|Homeowner Discount||Save money on your auto insurance policy if you own your home.|
|Military Discount||In Louisiana, you can earn a discount if you’re serving full time in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, a Reserve Corps/National Guard or the Coast Guard.|
|Good Student Discount||Good students get lower insurance rates with The General® car insurance. Just send in proof that you rank in the upper 20% of your class; have a B or 3.0 average, or better; or are on the Dean’s List or Honor Roll.|
|Driver Training Discount||If you’ve recently passed an accident prevention course, you can save on insurance.|
|Safety Features Discount||You can get a discount if your vehicle has anti-lock brakes, anti-theft features, daytime running lights, air bags or passive restraints.|
|Multi-Car Discount||Save on coverage when you insure multiple vehicles with The General® care insurance.|
|Paid-in-Full Discount||Save by paying your policy in full instead of making monthly payments.|
|Safe Driver Discount||Once you’re insured, The General® will give you discount points for maintaining a clean driving record.|
What Type of Coverage Is Available?
In terms of car insurance, you won’t find all of the bells and whistles you might have access to with other insurance providers, but you will find:
- Liability insurance: Liability coverage pays for property damage, bodily injury, and medical payments if you’re in an at-fault accident. This is the only type of insurance required in some states, and it’s the most affordable coverage option.
- Full coverage or comprehensive coverage: This can provide more financial stability for drivers, since repair costs from any covered event are included. Be sure to check your coverage limits before deciding on a policy.
Additional coverage options from The General® car insurance include roadside assistance, collision coverage, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist coverage.
While The General® might not provide the most affordable insurance options, high-risk drivers will find the coverage they’re looking for.
How Does The General® Work?
Ready to get a quote? It’s easy. You can get a free quote for The General® car insurance online at www.thegeneral.com.
The process kicks off by asking for your zip code. From there, get ready to provide your contact details including your name, e-mail address, and address.
Additionally, you’ll need to provide information about any regular drivers who will drive your vehicle more than once per week.
Once you have a quote, you can finalize your coverage online. If you have questions, take advantage of the option to chat with a live insurance agent. They’ll be ready to answer any questions about your insurance policy options.
The General’s customers can reach out to file an insurance claim via the mobile app, or call a representative. In either case, be prepared to provide your policy number.
Where Does The General® Offer Coverage?
The General® Car Insurance: Pros and Cons
Every car insurance company has its advantages and disadvantages. Here’s what you need to know about The General®. Let’s start with the pros:
- High-risk coverage: High-risk drivers in most states will find coverage options for them.
- Ample discounts: The General® offers a selection of discounts to lower your insurance premium.
- Add-ons available: You can build out the right policy for your needs.
Now for the cons:
- No gap insurance: You can’t obtain gap insurance through The General.
- Focus on high-risk drivers: If you’re a driver with a clean driving history, you might find better prices and features elsewhere.
Is It Right For Me?
Now, for the question you came here for: Is The General® the best car insurance for you? It might be! The General® is likely to be a good fit if:
- Your driving record or credit history isn’t perfect
- You’re an older (70 or over) or younger driver (20 or under)
- You need affordable car insurance and a flexible payment plan
- You’ve had a lapse in car insurance coverage
- You need an SR-22 due to a DUI
- You need non-owners car insurance
The bottom line is that The General® offers coverage to drivers who might not get insurance elsewhere. So why not give it a try? If you’re on the fence, consider The General® car insurance reviews, which represent many satisfied customers. Then, get a personalized quote from The General® and other top auto insurance companies by entering your ZIP code here:
Compare Car Insurance Rates Here
Compare Car Insurance Rates Here
What Else Does The General® Offer?
Unlike larger insurers, The General® doesn’t provide a full suite of insurance products to its customers. You won’t find boat insurance, motorcycle insurance, or homeowners insurance. Instead, The General® focuses on a few core products.
For auto and vehicle insurance, you’ll find car insurance, non-standard or high-risk insurance, non-owners policies, and SR-22 insurance. You’ll also find term-life insurance as one of their non-auto insurance policies.
Frequently Asked Questions About The General® Car Insurance
Does The General® have a mobile app?
Yes. The General® offers a free mobile app for Android and iOS. It covers all the basics, allowing you to get a quote, make a payment, view your ID cards, or submit a claim.
How do I file a claim with The General®?
You can file a claim and check its status 24/7 by calling 1-800-280-1466 or using the mobile app.
Does The General® offer flexible payment plans?
Yes! The General® allows customers to choose their payment schedule. You can pay online, by mail, through the app, or via an automated payment system. However, they will charge you a fee if you opt to pay by speaking to a customer service representative.
Is there a penalty if I cancel my policy early?
In some states, 10% of the unearned premium will be deducted for canceling the policy prior to the end of the policy term.