Why choose 21st Century Insurance?
- You can contact 21st Century via phone, email, live chat, Facebook and Twitter
- Multi-vehicle, loyalty and low-mileage discounts are available
- The Better Business Bureau has rated 21st Century Insurance A+
Did you know...?
- 21st Century insurance has won the Confirmit ACE Award six times, recognizing excellent achievement in customer excellence
- A.M. Best has rated their financial strength as A (Excellent)
- They are headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware
- Customer Service: 877-401-8181
- Claims: 888-244-6163
- Roadside Assistance: 800-439-5587
- 21st Century Insurance, 3 Beaver Valley Road, Wilmington, DE 19803
21st Century Insurance has been in business since 1958 and has over six decades of experience in the car insurance industry. Although headquartered in Delaware, the company only offers insurance to drivers in California.
That means 21st Century Insurance won’t be available to everyone. But if you live in California and want to insure a new or used vehicle, is it worth a look?
Let’s weigh the pros and cons of 21st Century Insurance and see how they compare to other car insurance companies regarding customer service and rates.
What Is 21st Century Insurance?
The first thing to know about the 21st Century Insurance Company is that they’re part of the Farmers Insurance Group. So even though 21st Century car insurance coverage is only available in California, their parent company has name recognition nationwide.
In fact, Farmers services over 20 million insurance policies and has 24,000 employees in the U.S., making them one of the country’s largest insurers.
If you take out a policy with 21st Century insurance, though, you’ll be dealing directly with 21st Century insurance agents. So how do they stack up?
21st Century serves all of its customers from its Wilmington, DE HQ. They guarantee that any call made to them regarding your auto insurance policy will be answered by a representative in the United States.
However, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) gives them a 2.4 on the customer complaint index, suggesting that the number of complaints they receive is at least “twice as high as expected in the market.”
Whether or not a car insurance policy with 21st Century is right for you will depend on what you value most: customer satisfaction, low auto insurance rates, or other factors. For some drivers, the perks that 21st Century offers, such as car insurance discounts and free roadside assistance, may outweigh a high number of complaints.
Benefits of 21st Century Insurance
So what are the perks of taking out a car insurance policy with 21 Century Insurance? Here are a few things that set it apart from other insurance companies:
- Financial strength: 21st Century has been rated highly for financial strength due to its backing by the Farmers Insurance Group. This means that the company will likely have sufficient funds to pay out valid claims. However, it’s worth noting that AM Best decided to review its rating upon news that 21st Century Insurance was “to be acquired by Trisura Group Ltd.”
- Free roadside assistance program: Some insurance companies charge extra for roadside assistance, but 21st Century offers it free of charge. You’ll get free towing, lock-out service, and other assistance around the clock.
- Self-service portal: Policyholders get their own self-service portal, which is available 24/7, 365 days a year. In the portal, you can add or change drivers, e-sign your documents, enroll in automatic payments, and more.
- Mobile app: Policyholders can also service their policy by downloading the 21st Century free mobile app. You can view your policy information, pay a bill, file a claim, and access your ID card entirely on your smartphone.
- SR-22 forms: Not all insurance companies offer policies to drivers with a DUI or who have been caught driving without insurance. 21st Century is one that does and can even file your SR-22 form to show proof of financial responsibility.
- Flexible repair policy: 21st Century offers a flexible repair policy, which means you can pick the repair shop of your choice. Their network of over 10,700 claims professionals is ready to help you and offer fast hassle-free service.
21st Century Insurance Coverage Options
So, what kinds of insurance policies can you take out with 21st Century insurance? This insurance company offers the same types of auto insurance coverage as other companies, including:
- Liability insurance: This covers bodily injury and property damage when you get into an accident, and you’re at fault (required in most states)
- Collision coverage: This covers the cost of repairs and bodywork on your own vehicle in some types of accidents
- Comprehensive coverage: This covers additional situations not covered by collision insurance, such as theft and natural disaster
Of course, the level of coverage you need will depend on several factors, including the make and model of your vehicle. If you have a new car, you may want to take out a full coverage policy that includes all of the above and more. In fact, if you’re leasing or financing a car, your lender might require it.
On the other hand, if you have an old car that’s declined in value, you may be able to do with less robust coverage options. You can also choose a higher deductible to save money, but you’ll pay more out-of-pocket if you get into an accident.
Are there any types of insurance that 21st century doesn’t offer? Yes: You’ll have to look elsewhere for rideshare insurance or gap insurance. However, 21st Century does provide classic car insurance, which comes with special coverage considerations.
21st Century Car Insurance Discounts
The best way to get a great deal on car insurance is to qualify for a discount. Many car insurance providers offer generous discounts, and 21st Century is no exception. Here are just a few of the car insurance discounts you might qualify for:
- Multi-Car Discount: If you have more than one car on the same policy, you could be eligible for a discount averaging 15%.
- Superior Driver Discount: If you’ve had a clean driving record for four years or more, you could get a good driver discount of 10-20%.
- Anti-Theft Discount: If your car has modern anti-theft devices built in, you could save up to 15% on your policy.
- Good Student Discount: Students under 25 years old who maintain B grades or better may qualify for 15% off their premium.
- Mature Driver Discount: Drivers over 55 can save 2% by taking a defensive driving course recognized by their state
There’s no limit to how many discounts you can get, so you may qualify for more than one. It’s also worth noting that, unlike some insurance companies, 21st Century doesn’t consider your credit score when determining your premium. That’s because it’s not allowed in the state of California.
21st Century doesn’t offer life insurance, renters or homeowners insurance, or other types of insurance, but their partner companies do.
21st Century Auto Insurance Reviews
“21st is an auto insurance company that cares about their customer. They are very helpful and knowledgeable, and can answer all of your questions securely and professionally.” – Charlie
“I was able to chat online with a customer service representative when I had a quick question. After signing up online, I was able to print my insurance cards, and my policy took effect that same night.” – Jennifer
“They have been amazing. There is very little wait time, and I can speak to a representative quickly.” – Caitlin
Is 21st Century Insurance Right for You?
Everyone wants something different from their car insurance company. Some customers want low rates, others want a convenient sign-up process, and others want to be able to manage everything about their insurance policy from their phone. 21st Century checks most of these boxes, but it does leave out a few key coverage options, including gap coverage and rideshare coverage.
The only way to know how 21st Century auto insurance rates compare to other companies is to request a free quote. Simply enter your ZIP code here to see multiple car insurance quotes side-by-side: