- Customer Service: 1-800-640-2920
- Claims: 888-WAWA-CLAIM (929-2252)
- Roadside Assistance: 855-WAWA-TOW (929-2869)
- PO Box 82867 San Diego, CA 92138-9492
- [email protected]a.com
What is Wawanesa Insurance?
Initially founded in Manitoba, Canada, The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company has over 100 years of insurance service. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Wawanesa insurance solely provides auto insurance to California and Oregon residents.
Wawanesa is known for catering to drivers who are careful and responsible drivers. To qualify, drivers must have no more than one traffic violation or one at-fault accident in the past three years. They’re known for their stellar customer service, long-standing reputation, and many bundling options.
How Does Wawanesa Insurance Work?
If you’re trying to decide if Wawanesa insurance is the right choice for you, we’ve got you covered. We’ll give you the inside scoop on everything you need to know about this west coast auto insurer.
How to Make Auto Insurance Payments
Wawanesa policyholders have three options to manage their bill payments:
- By Phone: Pay your bill by calling 800-640-2920 during business hours.
- Online Portal: Make payments online using your bank account and routing number or with a debit/credit card.
- By Mail: You can mail your check or money order to Wawanesa Insurance PO BOX 85048 San Diego, CA 92186-5048
Reasons Your Auto Insurance Rate Increases
Wawanesa doesn’t specifically list out reasons for rate increases, but they do mention a few factors that contribute to spikes in your insurance premium:
- Your Vehicle: If you purchase a newer car with the latest tech features, you can expect to see your premiums rise because it has a higher value.
- Your Vehicle Mileage: Switched to a new job with a longer commute? If you spend more time on the road, you’ll pay more for auto insurance than a driver who has lower mileage.
- Driving Record: Drivers who’ve recently been in at-fault accidents or get points on their record from speeding will see an increase in insurance rates.
- Location: Have you moved to a more urban area with higher crime levels? Drivers located in areas with higher crime rates will generally pay more for insurance.
- Driving Experience: Adding a younger driver who lacks driving experience to your policy will cause your rates to rise.
- Increase in the Number of Accidents: A general increase in accidents will cause your insurer to raise the rates of all drivers on the policy or potentially drop our coverage altogether.
At times, the best way to avoid unnecessary rate increases is to shop around and compare rates. This way, you can see what the competition offers and make sure you’re getting the best deal. To get customized, real-life quotes using our auto insurance comparison tool, simply enter your zip code down below.
Filing an Auto Insurance Claim
You can report a claim to Wawanesa 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Use their website or call their claims hotline at 1-888- WAWA-CLAIM (929-2252).
Securing Auto Insurance Discounts
Wawanesa offers different discounts for customers living in California and Oregon. You can see their list of discounts organized by state down below:
- Good Driver Discount: Meet Wawanesa’a qualifications for good driving and save money on auto insurance.
- Multi-Car Discount: Insure more than one vehicle on the same policy and enjoy savings on your premium.
- Loyalty Discount: Be continuously insured by Wawanesa for an entire year and qualify for this discount.
- Defensive Driver Discount: Drivers over 55 years of age qualify for this discount after completing a state approved defensive driving course.
- Multi-Policy Discount: Bundle two policies together to lower the cost of your auto insurance.
- Anti-Theft Discount: If your car has anti-theft features installed, you may be eligible for additional savings on your premium.
- Affinity Discount: If you’re a Wawanesa policyholder who belongs to one of the Affinity groups they partner with, you could see extra savings on your policy.
- Driver Training: Drivers younger than 19 who complete an Oregon Department of Transportation approved driver training course qualify for this discount.
- Insurance Score: Drivers with a favorable Insurance Score can receive a discount on their premium. This score is based on your credit history and represents the probability of future claims.
- Mature Driver Improvement Course: This discount is awarded to drivers 55+ who complete an Oregon Department of Transportation-approved accident prevention course.
- Multi-Car Discount: Insure more than more vehicles on your policy and save.
- Vehicle Recovery System Discount: If you’ve equipped your car with a vehicle recovery system like OnStar, On Guard, or Teletrac, you can save money on your premium.
- E-Collect & E Distribute Discount: Opt for automated payments and paperless document delivery to save money.
- Loyalty Discount: You’ll qualify for this discount after having Wawanesa insurance for a full year.
- Military Discount: Active or retired members of the U.S Armed Forces qualify for this discount.
- Persistency Discount: Drivers insured right before purchasing insurance with Wawanesa will get this discount.
- Multi-Policy Discount: Bundle renters and auto insurance together and save.
Wawanesa Insurance Coverage Options
Wawanesa offers a wide array of policies to customers. Keep in mind that all policies may not be available in both states.
Insurance coverage options:
- Bodily Injury Liability: Pays the cost of injury or death to another person when you’re involved in an at-fault accident. It also provides legal defense in a lawsuit or bodily injury claims.
- Property Damage Liability: Pays for the cost of damage to property to someone else’s vehicle, home, building, or other property. Also provides legal defense against property damage claims or lawsuits.
- Collision: Pays for repairs to your car if it collides with another vehicle or object, whether or not you are at fault.
- Comprehensive: Repairs or replaces your vehicle when damaged by something besides a collision, such as theft, vandalism, hitting an animal, or extreme weather.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance: Coverage that pays for damage to your vehicle when the other driver is at fault and has no or insufficient insurance.
- Personal Injury Protection: Helps pay for you or your passengers’ injury expenses.
- Auto Medical Payments: Pays for the medical bills of you and your passengers after a collision.
Wawanesa offers the following additional insurance products:
- Roadside Assistance: Helps pay for standard roadside services such as emergency towing, flat tire, battery jump-start, or fuel delivery.
- Rental Car Coverage: Pays for rental car fees or transportation when you repair your car after a covered claim.
- Special Vehicle Equipment Coverage: Covers additional costs for loss or damage to special vehicle equipment covered under your collision or comprehensive coverage. This could include special tires/wheels or engine accessories.
- Homeowners Insurance: Covers items stolen in burglaries, damage from fire, flood, natural disasters, damaged personal belongings, loss of use, etc.
- Renters Insurance: Protects renter’s personal property, loss of use, personal liability, and covers medical payments to others.
- Condo Insurance: Covers your condo in case of damage to personal property, loss of use, worker’s compensation, etc.
- Pet Insurance: Wawanesa partnered with Embrace Pet insurance to offer coverage to pet owners.
Where is Wawanesa Insurance Available?
Wawanesa Insurance is available in California and Oregon.
|Clearsurance||4.04/5 – 165 reviews|
Wawanesa received a score of 4.04/5 stars on consumer site Clearsurance. Most customer reviews praised their ability to clearly explain their coverage, the abundance of discounts, and various coverage options.
The Better Business Bureau awarded Wawanesa an A+, followed by AM Best with a score of A. Not only this, but Wawanesa ranked #1 in customer satisfaction from J.D. Power for auto insurers in California and best in price in 2021.
Employees also seem to enjoy the working environment at Wawanesa according to reviews on Glassdoor. They mention that there are diverse and inclusive benefits, and a positive work-life balance is prevalent among colleagues.
Pros and Cons of Wawanesa Insurance
Still need more convincing that Wawanesa is right for you? Here’s a breakdown of a few pros and cons to help finalize your decision:
- Bundle Friendly: With options for homeowners, renters, and condo insurance, drivers looking to bundle their policies can make Wawanesa their one-stop-shop.
- Plenty of Discounts: Depending on the state, Wawanesa offers customers several discounts they can potentially qualify for.
- Limited Availability: Wawanesa is only available in two states: California and Oregon.
- No Mobile App: Tech-savvy policyholders will be disappointed with the lack of a mobile app to manage their auto insurance policy.
How to Know if Wawanesa Insurance is a Good Fit
Wawanesa Insurance is a good fit for you if:
- You have a clean driving record
- You live in California or Oregon
- You want to bundle your home/renters insurance with your auto insurance
Of course, only you can decide is Wawanesa is the right insurance company for your current situation. Before committing to a company, find out what other options are available! Start your search for affordable car insurance by entering your zip code below.
Wawanesa Insurance FAQs
Does Wawanesa have a mobile app?
Wawanesa does not have a mobile app available to its customers.
How do I make payments for my Wawanesa insurance bill?
You can make payments online, over the phone by calling 800-640-2920, or paying by mail with check or money order.
How do I file a claim with Wawanesa?
You can file a claim through Wawanesa’s website or call their claims center at 888-929-2252.
What extra insurance options does Wawanesa offer?
Wawanesa offers a wide variety of insurance options, including homeowners, renters, condo, and pet insurance.