Why choose Direct Auto Insurance?
- You can make a payment in store, online, on the phone or even via text
- Direct Auto’s staff work based on the four E’s, they’re: engaged, energized, empowered and execute every day to get the job done
- Even if you’re a classic ‘high-risk’, Direct Auto can work with you to find the right package for you
Did you know...?
- You can add coverage for travelling into Mexico to your policy
- Their mascot is JJ Hightail – he even has his own Facebook and Twitter pages
- Direct Auto has partnered with the Hispanic Heritage Foundation, donating to their scholarship program
- Customer Service: 877-463-4732
- Claims: 800-403-1077
- Direct Auto, 1281 Murfreesboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37217
Direct Auto Insurance was founded with a simple premise: Drivers deserve low rates and great service from an auto insurer, no matter what their driving record looks like. This concept of a “premier non-standard automobile insurance company” has proven successful, as Direct Auto (also known as Direct General Auto Insurance) has grown rapidly across the southeast U.S.
They specialize in non-standard auto insurance for drivers who are higher risk or need SR-22 insurance. They also offer extra-flexible payment options, including low down payments, text-to-pay, and choose-your-own payment schedules.
Direct Auto is owned by National General Insurance, which in turn has been acquired by Allstate. So, you know you’re in good hands!
Direct Auto Insurance Reviews
|Clearsurance||3.6/5 – 251 reviews|
Direct Auto Insurance earns three and a half stars on consumer review site Clearsurance. Many customers say they offer cheap car insurance rates and they’re easy to work with, with caring customer service reps.
Direct Auto’s parent company, National General, has an A- rating from A.M. Best, which means it’s a stable, financially secure insurance company. National General also has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, and has been accredited.
Employees aren’t super positive about working at Direct Auto. While 81% say they approve of the CEO’s leadership, employees say pay and commissions are low.
How much can I save with Direct Auto Insurance?
Direct Auto offers generous discounts, with some saving you up to 25% on car insurance. The best discounts are for military service members, people with multiple policies, and drivers who switch from another company. But even small savings add up! Here are some of the discounts they offer:
|Military Discount||Active service members can save up to 25%.
|Good Student Discount||You can save up to 10% on car insurance if you’re a full-time student in high school, college, or a vocational/technical school, and you have a good academic record.|
|Safe Driver Discount||Save up to 10% if you’ve had a clean driving record for the past three years.|
|Multi-Vehicle Discount||Save up to 25% insuring more than one vehicle.|
|Multi-Product Discount||Save up to 5% if you bundle other insurance products in your policy, such as term life insurance.|
|Homeowner’s Discount||Save up to 15% for owning the house, townhouse or condo where you reside.|
|Transfer Discount||Switch from another insurer you’ve been with for at least six months, with no lapse in coverage, and they’ll reward you with savings.|
|Senior Citizen Discount||Save up to 5% if you’re 55 or older and you pass a defensive driving class.|
|Defensive Driving Discount||If you pass a defensive driving class, you can get a nice discount.|
|Low Mileage Discount||Drive under a set number of miles per year and save up to 5%.|
|Renewal Discount||Renew your policy within 7 to 10 days of the expiration date, with no lapse, and you can save up to 20%.|
|Welcome Back Discount||Returning after 6 months or more with another company? Save up to 6%.|
|Affinity Discount||Save up to 5% if you belong to an organization that has a partnership with Direct Auto.|
Where does Direct Auto offer coverage?
Is Direct Auto right for me?
So, you need affordable car insurance — is Direct General the best option for you? It might be, if:
- You have a few driving violations or at-fault accidents on your record, and you’re looking for affordable insurance for high-risk drivers.
- You need an SR-22, a non-owner insurance policy, or other non-standard insurance.
- You want the ability to pay via text, kiosk, in person or with a debit or credit card.
- You’d like to set up a flexible payment schedule to fit your budget.
Before you commit to any insurance company, compare customized, real-life quotes from quality insurers in your state. Then, pick the one with the lowest rates. Easy as that!
What else does Direct Auto offer?
Need auto insurance for a trip to Mexico? Direct Auto can cover you. The company offers several lines of insurance, including:
Auto & Vehicle
Other Insurance Products
- Term Life Insurance
- Accident Medical Expense
- Health Marketplace
- Emergency Protection
Direct Auto Insurance FAQs
- Can I pay for my car insurance month-to-month? Yes. They offer an array of flexible payment options. Choose your payment date, then pay in person with a credit or debit card, check, cash or money order; with a credit/debit card online or by phone; or go old-school and mail a check.
- Why did my premiums increase after I bought a policy? Direct Auto has at least 60 days to adjust your policy after you buy. If they discover past accidents or driving violations you didn’t mention, or if you don’t provide documentation for a discount, your insurance costs may go up. They’ll mail you a letter that explains the reason for the increase.
- Does Direct Auto offer SR-22 insurance? If you need an SR-22 certificate of insurance because you’ve had past driving violations, they can help.
- How do I cancel my policy? You can go into a local Direct Auto office and sign a cancellation request, or hand write a statement. You can also fax your request to 877-622-7338, or request a cancellation online by emailing Customer Service.
Direct Auto’s parent company, National General Insurance, donated $3 million to COVID-19 relief efforts by organizations that support communities in which our employees, policyholders, and business partners live and work.
You may know them from…
Spokespersons and mascots
Tonya Harding, Fat Joe and Johnny Manziel
“We’re all about second chances!” Direct Auto says, and so they hired three celebrities known for falling from grace. Figure skater Tonya Harding was banned from the sport after her ex-husband orchestrated an attack on Harding’s Olympic rival in 1994. Rapper Fat Joe went to prison for four months in 2013 for tax evasion. And Johnny Manziel was a promising young quarterback when he was cut from the Browns after incidents involving partying, substance abuse and an assault on his then-girlfriend. “We’ve all made mistakes,” Harding says in her commercial. “None of that matters to Direct Auto. They look past your past and help you get the car insurance you need.”
Direct Auto on social media
Connect with them on most social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.