At a Glance
Headquarters: Chevy Chase, Maryland
Locations: 17 major locations with over 150 field locations
Revenue: $35.57 billion (2019)
Key People: Tony Nicely (Executive Chairman), Todd Combs (President and CEO)
Phone: 1 (800) 841-2964
The Government Employees Insurance Company, or GEICO, as it is more commonly known, was incorporated by husband and wife Leo and Lillian Goodwin in 1936 in the middle of the Great Depression.
Initially offering only automotive insurance, GEICO has since branched out into business, home, life, and many other types of insurance.
After 60 successful years, GEICO was purchased as a subsidiary of Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway, Inc in 1996.
Today, GEICO insurance stands among the industry leaders and is most notable for their advertising campaigns featuring the iconic green GEICO gecko and the GEICO cavemen.
|Clearsurance||4.13/5 – 18,654 reviews|
|Glassdoor||3.3/5 – 4,400 reviews|
Overall, GEICO has done pretty well in the publics’ eyes. According to JD Power, GEICO has the highest rating out of all other major insurance companies, and the Better Business Bureau has awarded them an A+ rating to go with it. GEICO’s ratings on other sites hold up equally, too. If you average GEICO’s lowest and highest ratings, it comes out at around 4/5 stars, putting it in the same range as other big-name carriers such as Liberty Mutual and Progressive.
GEICO’s employees also rank it favorably, with a 3.3/5 star Glassdoor rating out of over 4,000 reviews. GEICO's reputation proceeds it, and it lives up to the hype. There is a reason why GEICO is one of the most recognized and popular insurance companies in the industry.
What Will GEICO Cost?
The real question on your mind, though, is how much does GEICO cost? Considering that it is a significant name in the industry, you might expect to pay more for the prestige. It all depends on what you want insured, your track record, and some personal information.
For an idea of what you might end up paying, check out the average yearly premium in your state:
|State||Minimum Coverage||Full Coverage|
Now that you’ve seen what GEICO costs the average driver, it’s time to see if it’s the right company for you. Simply enter your ZIP code below to get started!
What discounts does GEICO offer?
For the better part of a decade, you couldn't watch TV without hearing an ad say "...but there is good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO."
It might seem gimmicky, but when you look into it, GEICO does have a wide selection of different discounts – multi-policy discounts, seniors' discounts, over 15 discounts alone for car safety, and the list goes on. GEICO insurance even offers student discounts to high schoolers and university students.
GEICO’s discounts are easy to find and search through, depending on what category you’re looking to save on. For more details, check out our breakdown here:
|Homeowner Discount||Bundle your home and auto policies to save money|
|Military Discount||Save money if you are an Active, Retired, or Reservist member of the armed forces|
|Good Student Discount||Save money with a stellar report card|
|Advanced Safety Features Discount||Pay less each month for having top of the line safety features in your vehicle.|
|Low-Mileage Discount||Save money on gas and save money on your insurance|
|Anti-Theft Device Discount||Keep your vehicle safe and also save money on your monthly policy|
|Safe driver’s discount||Save big by not having any accidents or violations on your traffic record.|
|Federal Employee Discount||If you work for the federal government, you could be saving even more|
|Multi-Policy Discount||Combine motorcycle, life, business, or other policies to save money across the board.|
|Multi-Car Discount||Save more by adding another car to your policy|
|New Vehicle Discount||If you’re driving a new vehicle, you could pay 15% less on your policy|
|Membership & Employee Discounts||If you are a member employee of one of over 800 organizations, you could be saving money|
|Paperless Billing Discount||Save up to 15% by going green and enrolling in paperless billing.|
Where Can I Buy GEICO Insurance?
As one of the largest insurance companies in the US, GEICO has local offices in 43/50 states. But don’t worry if you find yourself in a state without a local office. GEICO rights policies in every state
Is GEICO right for me?
If you are looking to buy insurance through GEICO, ask yourself the following questions.
- How is my driving record? If it’s bad, would it might be better to go with a smaller/cheaper company that specializes in drivers with marks on their records
- Am I looking for more than just auto insurance? GEICO can bundle your policies and save you big money.
- Will I be able to afford a more expensive payment if I have an accident? With GEICO, you can earn accident forgiveness if you ever have an accident, but only if your recent driving record is flawless prior to your accident.
- Do I want a big name company? GEICO is one of the most well-known names in insurance.
What else does GEICO offer?
Even though they started as an auto insurer, GEICO has gone far beyond just car insurance. If you're looking for more, look into one of these policies:
Auto & Vehicle
- Business Owners
- General Liability
- Professional Liability
- Workers Comp
- Wellness & Fitness
- Commercial Auto
- Identify Theft
- How do I file a claim with GEICO? It’s quick and easy to file a claim with GEICO. Just contact them at (800) 841-3000, online at geico.com/claims, or through their mobile phone app.
- What happens after I file a claim? After you file a claim, GEICO will check the eligibility of the claim and then make an appointment for an inspection. You can either bring your car to the local office or have a GEICO officer come to you if the vehicle is unsafe to drive.
- How do I cancel my GEICO policy? To cancel your policy, you’ll need to speak to a GEICO agent on the phone by calling (800) 710-7751.
- Can I find GEICO insurance in my state? GEICO writes insurance policies in all 50 states.
- Is there a GEICO mobile app? GEICO has a mobile app available for both Android and Apple products. With the app, you can file claims and view your policy from anywhere, at any time.
- Does GEICO offer foreign language services? GEICO offers several foreign language services to help keep you insured, even if English is not your first language. For a Spanish-speaking representative, call 1-800-691-4240.
GEICO’s Community Outreach
As a member of the community, GEICO does more than just help keep its customers insured. For more than 40 years, GEICO has supported the Children's National Hospital, encouraged eco-friendly green initiatives, and worked with Habitat For Humanity and Paws For a Cause. GEICO believes in giving back to the people who have supported them for almost 100 years.
GEICO on Social Media
You can find GEICO on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more. You can even follow their iconic mascot, the GEICO Gecko!