- Customer Service: 1 (800) 458-0811
- Claims: 1 (800) 367-3743
- 100 Erie Insurance Place Erie, PA 16530
There’s a lot to think about when deciding which car insurance company is right for you. You’ll naturally want auto insurance that’s affordable and gives you the coverage you need, but there are other considerations, too. An insurer’s reputation, the availability of help during the claims process, and the overall quality of customer service are all important elements that can affect your interactions with your insurer.
Erie Insurance was founded with an understanding of how much quality customer service matters. If you’re shopping for car insurance, then it’s worth considering Erie and getting a quote.
At a Glance
Headquarters: Erie, PA
Key People: Timothy Necastro (CEO)
What is Erie Insurance?
Two men started Erie Insurance in 1925 with the goal of providing quality insurance without sacrificing customer service. That small Pennsylvania-based insurance provider has since grown into a FORTUNE 500 company with more than 6,000 policies in effect. Erie now offers auto, home, business, and life insurance policies and is known for its top tier customer service. According to Erie, more than 90% of its customers decide to stay with the company.
Today, Erie Insurance is the 13th largest auto insurance company in the United States, according to Best’s Insurance Reports. Erie Insurance also holds several awards and rankings. The company was included in the Forbes list of Best Insurance Companies of 2022, and was ranked in the top 2% of insurance companies. It was also ranked 347 on the Fortune 500 Ranking of the largest American companies based on total revenue in 2021.
How Does Erie Insurance Work?
Erie Auto Insurance Payments
You can pay your Erie car insurance bill online, by phone, or by mail. Erie offers several payment plans, including monthly, quarterly, and annual options, and you can enroll in automatic payments so you don’t have to worry about taking the time to make each payment.
You can also get a discount if you pay your annual policy all at once.
Erie Auto Insurance Rate Increases
Like any insurance company, Erie may increase your premium based on several factors – some that are in your control and others that aren’t. Factors in your control include getting speeding tickets and being involved in at-fault car accidents. While those outside of your control might include your area having more vehicle break ins or higher crime rates in general.
But Erie also includes First Accident Forgiveness with its policies. With First Accident Forgiveness, you won’t see a surcharge after your first at-fault accident. Best of all, while other insurance companies usually charge for accident forgiveness, Erie includes this protection at no additional cost once you’ve been a customer for three years.
Additionally, they offer Erie Rate Lock, a feature that helps you avoid rate increases. If you have a claim, your rates won’t increase unless you make adjustments to your policy like changing your primary residence or adding or removing a driver. Think of Erie Rate Lock as protection against unexpected rate increases.
If your insurance rates have recently increased, it’s the perfect time to shop around for new car insurance. Compare.com makes it easy – just spend 5 minutes using our auto insurance comparison tool, and you’ll receive personalized quotes from up to 65 top insurance providers.
Erie Auto Insurance Claims
You can file a claim by contacting your local Erie agent, or you can call Erie at 800-367-3743. Erie support is available 24/7, so you can call about your claim anytime. It’s important to let them know about an accident right away.
Once you’ve filed your claim, a claims adjuster will contact you to gather additional information, discuss the accident and the damage to your car. The adjuster will then explain available car repair options with you.
Erie works to quickly settle its claims, but the amount of time that it will take for you to get a check will depend on the damage to your vehicle and the complexity of your claim.
Erie Auto Insurance Discounts
Erie Insurance offers you many ways to save on your car insurance:
- Safe driving discount: Get a discount for your good driving record.
- Car safety equipment discounts: Save additional money if your car has equipment like anti-theft devices, anti-lock brakes, and factory-installed air bags.
- Multi-car discount: Insuring two or more vehicles with Erie could get you additional discounts.
- Multi-policy discount: If you secure different insurance policies with Erie, such as life insurance or home insurance, you’ll also secure a discount.
- Reduced usage discount: You could get a discount if you don’t use your car for a consecutive 90 days.
- Young drivers discount: Erie may discount the policy for an unmarried driver under age 21 who lives with their parents.
- Annual payment plan: If you pay your premium in one lump sum, you could get an additional discount.
Erie Insurance Coverage Options
Erie offers six standard car insurance options, though you also have the ability to customize your coverage to your needs:
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: If you’re at fault in an accident where other people are hurt, this coverage helps to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
- Property Damage Liability: This coverage helps to pay for expenses that result if you damage someone else’s car or property.
- Personal Injury Protection: Personal injury protection pays for medical expenses that could result if you or others on your policy are hurt in an accident that occurs in your car.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage: This type of coverage is required by many states, and it ensures that your expenses will be paid for if you’re hurt by a driver who doesn’t have liability insurance.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Comprehensive coverage helps to pay for expenses that occur if your car is damaged from non-collision events, like a fire or flood.
- Collision Coverage: Collision protects you if your car is in an accident with another vehicle or an object. It pays for repairs or to replace your car.
ERIE auto policies also include pet injury coverage. If your pet is hurt in an accident while in your car, they will reimburse you up to $500 per pet to help cover vet treatments.
Additional Insurance Coverage Options
In addition to these standard coverages, Erie offers many additional options that can make it an appealing choice:
- Transportation/rental car coverage: Included with comprehensive coverage, this policy can help to cover the costs of renting a car after an accident.
- Roadside service: Towing and labor costs are included with your roadside service to help get you back on the road after your car breaks down.
- New car protection: If your totaled vehicle is 24 months old or less, Erie will replace it with a new vehicle of the latest available model year under a covered claim.
- Better car protection: If your car is ever totaled in a covered claim, Erie will replace it with a vehicle that’s two years newer.
- Ridesharing: This add-on overage helps to protect you when you use your private vehicle while driving for a company like Uber or Lyft.
Erie Auto Insurance Costs
Erie is known for offering affordable auto insurance policies no matter your age, driving history or status in life. Here are some average monthly premiums to keep in mind when considering costs.
|Retired Drivers (65+)||$117|
|1 Ticket on Your Record||$137|
|1 Accident on Your Record||$158|
|1 DUI on Your Record||$198|
Where is Erie insurance Available?
Erie currently offers auto insurance coverage in just 13 states:
- New York
- North Carolina
- Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia
Erie Insurance Customer Reviews
Erie Insurance Group has an A+ rating with the Better Business Group. Despite their high rating, the company has 116 complaints on file. Those complaints reference a variety of issues, from difficulty following up about a claim to long wait times before claims are settled.
Erie Insurance has a 3.9 out of 5-star rating on Consumer Affairs, based on 1,008 ratings. Many reviews praise the company’s fast claims processing, but others describe difficulty communicating with the company and long wait times for claims to be processed.
Pros and Cons of Erie insurance
Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of Erie Insurance can help you to decide if it’s the right insurance option for you.
Pros of Erie Auto Insurance
- Plenty of licensed agents: With more than 13,000 licensed agents available, there’s a lot of help available if you’re interested in learning more about Erie Insurance and signing up for a policy.
- 24/7 claims support: If you have a claim, you can reach claims support 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Rideshare coverage: Erie offers optional rideshare coverage as an add-on, a must if you drive for Uber or Lyft.
- Pet injury coverage: Pet injury coverage is automatically included in ERIE auto policies, which can help to cover vet bills if your pet is hurt in an accident while in your car.
Cons of Erie Insurance
- Limited coverage areas: Erie only offers insurance in 13 states, so you’ll need to make sure that it’s available in your area.
How to know if Erie insurance is a good fit
It’s important to choose car insurance that offers the coverage you need at a price you can afford. The best way to tell if Erie insurance is a good fit is to get a quote and compare it to other insurance companies. With Compare.com, you just need to fill out a single quote request form. Then, you’ll receive quotes from up to 65 companies, including Erie (if it’s available in your area), so you can find the insurance that’s the best fit for your needs.
FAQs about Erie insurance
Is Erie the cheapest insurance?
Erie has a reputation for offering affordable car insurance rates, but many factors affect the rates that you’ll get from different insurance providers. The best way to tell which company is truly the cheapest is to compare quotes.
How much is Erie car insurance each month?
Erie’s car insurance rates will vary depending on your driving record, age, vehicle model and value, and more.