Why choose Elephant Insurance?
- They’re transparent with customers and develop tools around their needs.
- Elephant offers discounts where it makes sense — and when their customers deserve them.
- With 24/7 online policy access and digital support, Elephant aims to be as accessible as possible
Did you know...?
- Elephant Insurance’s Diminishing Deductible feature enables customers to earn $50-$100 off their collision deductible each year they go without getting into an accident.
- Customers can save up to 20% for multi-vehicle, paperless bills just by getting a quote online.
- Elephant is part of Admiral Group plc, one of the largest insurers in the U.K. with a presence in eight countries.
- Customer Service: 877-218-7865
- Claims: 866-535-8768
- Roadside Assistance: 877-321-9910
- 9950 Mayland Drive, Henrico, VA 23233
- [email protected]
An Overview of Elephant Auto Insurance
Elephant Insurance strives to make auto insurance affordable and empowers customers to make choices with confidence. The insurance provider offers tools and technology to meet customer needs. With flexible payment options, easy online account access, and a supportive team of insurance agents and experts, Elephant is committed to helping its customers feel in control of their coverage at all times.
Policyholders benefit from a range of customer-centric coverage options. For example, the Coverage Counselor tool helps customers better understand their choices. And their simple, straightforward Guided Quote process evolves around customer feedback.
With policies available in eight states, the company is growing its footprint. Elephant Insurance is big enough to matter but small enough to care.
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, the company has been voted a Richmond Times-Dispatch Top Workplace for eight years. Plus, Elephant is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) with an A+ rating.
Elephant is a subsidiary of Admiral Group plc, an FTSE 100 company and one of the largest insurers in the United Kingdom. With over 20 years of experience in the auto insurance industry, the parent company boasts 11 brands and more than 6 million customers worldwide.
How Does Elephant Auto Insurance Work?
Elephant makes paying your premiums as simple as possible. You can make payments online with the click of a button and edit your payment options online, too, so there’s no need to make a phone call or go to a physical office to make or change payments.
Understanding Insurance Rate Increases
With any insurance company, you may experience an auto insurance rate increase when you renew your policy. Elephant auto insurance premiums can increase if you submit claims or have an at-fault accident while your policy is active because these things make you riskier to insure.
The good news is that when you submit a claim for an accident, your rate will not go up during the 12-month period that your policy is in effect. Instead, your rate could increase when your policy renews.
The team at Elephant will review your claims history, accident history, and the extent of the damages you were responsible for when determining your new insurance rate. If you’ve had numerous claims or an at-fault accident, you can expect a premium increase, especially if the damages were costly.
On the other hand, maintaining a good driving record helps you avoid insurance rate increases, and you may even get a policy discount for good driving.
Filing Insurance Claims
If you need to make a claim, Elephant makes the process as quick and straightforward as possible. Customers can log in and submit a claim online or call a customer service representative at 844-937-5353.
When you call to file a claim, you can expect the representative to gather information from you about the claim, which should take about 15-20 minutes.
After you file, a claims specialist will investigate the incident. They’ll gather information about the incident, speak to those involved, and obtain a police report, if applicable, to ensure they have the correct information. The claims specialist from Elephant will also review your insurance coverage to determine what damages will be covered.
Simple claims are processed within a few days, but every situation is different, and more complicated claims will take longer to process.
Saving Money With Insurance Discounts
Nowadays, everyone wants to save money on car insurance. That’s why Elephant offers several car insurance discounts you might qualify for, including:
- Multi-car discount: You may save money on your premium when you insure more than one vehicle under one policy.
- Safe car discount: You may receive discounts if your car has safety features like hands-free calling.
- Responsible driver discount: If you haven’t had an accident in a while, this option could save you even more.
- Multi-policy discount: Add other insurance products such as homeowners insurance or renters insurance, and you’ll receive a bundling discount on your auto insurance policy.
- Good student discount: If you’re in school or have someone on your plan who is, good grades could mean lower premiums.
- Online quote discount: Get rewarded by getting a car insurance quote and setting up your insurance plan online.
- Electronic signature discount: Why sign in person when you can sign online and save money?
- Paperless account discount: Select paperless billing, and you’ll be rewarded for saving trees.
- Paid-in-full discount: Save money when you pay your total yearly premium in one lump sum.
If you’re an Elephant customer, it’s never a bad idea to call your insurance agent or contact the company to determine if there are any discounts you are eligible for but not receiving.
Sometimes, you may have to ask to receive discounts. When you renew your Elephant car insurance at the end of the year, it’s important to discuss discounts and see if there are any new ones for which you qualify.
Elephant Car Insurance Coverage Options
If you’re looking to buy Elephant auto insurance, you have several types of insurance available to you:
- Liability insurance: If you choose to get liability insurance, it will cover damage to other people’s property, as well as injury to others, in case of an accident. It won’t provide any compensation to you in the case of an accident, but it protects you financially if you cause damage or injury that impacts other people. Liability is the minimum amount of coverage typically required by most state laws.
- Collision coverage: Collision insurance pays for damage to your vehicle if you are involved in an accident. Elephant offers collision coverage with deductibles as low as $50.
- Comprehensive coverage: If you suffer loss or damage to your vehicle not caused by an accident – say if your car is stolen or vandalized – comprehensive coverage protects you. This coverage also protects you from unexpected incidents such as a tree falling on your vehicle. Elephant lets you choose comprehensive coverage options with no deductible up to a $1,000 deductible.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This type of coverage protects you if you’re involved in an accident in which another party is at fault, but they don’t have any car insurance or enough liability coverage to pay for damage to your vehicle.
- MedPay and PIP: These options may come into play regardless of who is at fault in an accident. MedPay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance will cover medical bills that you and your passengers receive after being treated for injuries related to an accident. PIP will offer compensation for lost wages or the inability to perform household tasks.
Beyond these types of auto insurance, Elephant offers additional coverage options that you may want to consider. For instance, Elephant offers lease/loan protection, which will pay the difference between the value of your car if it’s totaled, and the amount you owe on any loans. Some additional coverage options include:
- Rental reimbursement: This coverage option will help you pay for a rental car if your car is damaged and undrivable.
- Non-owner insurance: This type of auto insurance coverage is for people who regularly drive a car they don’t actually own.
- Legal coverage: For $6 a month, Elephant auto insurance customers can add legal coverage, which assists with legal fees related to one minor traffic incident per year. This coverage option also gives customers a 25% discount on other legal services they may need.
Elephant Insurance Reviews
|4.2 out of 5 (2,570 reviews)
|3.1 out of 5
|3.1 out of 5 (141 reviews)
With an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, Elephant Insurance scores at the very top, right beside other much larger and more well-known carriers such as Liberty Mutual and Nationwide. WalletHub also gives high marks to Elephant, with a 4.2/5 score among its 2,570 customer reviews.
Employees give Elephant above-average ratings, boasting 3.1/5 on Glassdoor and an 81% approval rating for its CEO, Alberto Schiavon. Many employees praise Elephant’s fun, casual environment and open communications policy.
Clearsurance – a top site for insurance-related user reviews – also gives Elephant an above-average 3.1/5 rating, with 141 customer reviews.
Because Elephant Insurance is smaller than many other car insurance providers, it may not have the same number of reviews as some of the larger auto insurance companies. But their reviews are largely positive, especially for their quick quotes process, low rates, and easy-to-navigate website.
Most negative reviews and customer complaints relate to hassles when filing a claim. Some customers complain about Elephant denying their claims and refusing to pay, while others report not receiving return phone calls from an insurance agent.
Pros of Elephant Auto Insurance
Now that you have an idea of how much you’d pay with Elephant and how much you can save, it’s time to ask the important question, “Is Elephant right for me?” If Elephant seems like it may be a good fit for you, there are multiple advantages associated with this insurance company:
- Discount options: The fact that Elephant offers multiple discounts for safe drivers means it can be an affordable option for the right customer.
- Accident forgiveness: If you’re accident-free for three years, then have one, Elephant won’t increase your insurance premium. Customers also have the option of paying a fee for accident forgiveness, so it applies immediately instead of being eligible only after three years of being accident-free.
- Enhancement coverage: For those who put a lot of time and work into their cars, Elephant also offers $1,000 in coverage for enhancements, including window tinting and custom paint jobs. Elephant customers with collision and comprehensive insurance can purchase this coverage option for a fee. Elephant customers also enjoy discounts on certain mechanic services, such as battery replacements and oil changes.
- Cons of Elephant Auto Insurance
Elephant can be a great insurance company if you have a clean driving record and can take advantage of Elephant’s low rates and insurance discounts. However, there are some cons associated with this company:
- Limited availability: The biggest drawback with Elephant auto insurance is the fact that not everyone can take advantage of the low rates and discounts that this company offers. This is because Elephant only offers insurance in eight states. If you’re outside of their coverage area, you will not be able to use Elephant auto insurance.
- Complaints: Another drawback is that while many of the Elephant insurance reviews are positive, they have more complaints to state regulators when compared to other insurance companies. This means that negative experiences with Elephant may be especially severe compared to what people experience with similar companies.
Reasons Elephant Insurance Might Be a Good Fit
If you are in one of the eight states that Elephant Insurance serves, you may want to consider getting an insurance policy with the company, particularly if you meet the following criteria:
- You have a great driving record and want to be rewarded with lower monthly premiums.
- You or someone on your policy is a student with good grades.
- You’re insuring many cars and would like a discount for insuring them all with one policy.
- You’re looking for an all-in-one insurance company that can provide you with homeowners insurance, life insurance, renters insurance, or other insurance policies on top of your car insurance.
- You want a substantial discount by paying your total yearly premium in one lump sum.
If you don’t fit any of these categories and want a car insurance policy better suited to your individual needs, compare quotes from more than 60 of the country’s top car insurance companies by entering your ZIP code:
Compare Car Insurance Rates Here
Compare Car Insurance Rates Here
FAQs About Elephant Auto Insurance
Where is Elephant car insurance available?
Can I add or remove coverage in the middle of my policy?
Yes! Just log into your online account anytime to add or remove vehicles or drivers, change your address, pay your monthly premium, change your coverage, and more. Some changes, like adding another car, will affect your rate and your premium.
How do I file a claim with Elephant?
If you need to file a claim with Elephant, there are two easy ways to do it: You can either call them at 844-937-5353 or file online 24/7 using their dedicated online form.
Will filing a claim affect my premium?
Not immediately. Your rate will not increase due to any claims filed during the 12 months that your policy is active. When your policy is up for renewal, Elephant will assess your current rating factors and will let you know what your new rate will be before your renewal date.
Does Elephant offer SR-22 insurance?
Yes. Suppose you’re found guilty of certain traffic offenses, such as a DUI or multiple traffic violations. In that case, you may have to file an SR-22 form to either maintain or reinstate your driving privileges. Elephant will probably increase your monthly premium based on the severity of your offenses.
Can I get roadside assistance from Elephant?
Absolutely. Elephant makes it easy to protect yourself when you have a breakdown, flat tire, or another unforeseen incident with your vehicle. Towing, battery jumps, flat tire replacement, emergency fuel delivery, and lock-out services are all covered with Elephant Insurance Roadside Assistance Coverage.
Does Elephant insurance have a mobile app?
Yes, but only for customers who have an Android device. You can find the free Elephant Insurance mobile app in the Google Play store.