- Customer Service: 1 (800) 743-5837
- Roadside Assistance: 1-855-817-6510
- 1817 W. Broadway Columbia, MO 65218
Wondering whether Shelter Insurance is a good fit for your auto insurance needs? Then look no further because this review has the answers you need to help make a decision. Let’s explore what Shelter Insurance has to offer so that you can decide for yourself.
What is Shelter Insurance?
Shelter Insurance initially opened its doors in 1946 under the name, MFA Mutual Insurance. At the time, the company only offered auto insurance to Missouri customers.
Although the company has grown dramatically since then, it still values integrity and a commitment to improving its offerings. With that, Shelter Insurance promises to provide an excellent customer experience every step of the way.
How Does Getting Insurance With Shelter Work?
You can start the process of being insured by Shelter Insurance by getting an online quote.
The website quote process starts with you providing your zip code. Additionally, be ready to provide the following information so they can offer an accurate premium:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Education level
- Living situation
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Work address
- Vehicle usage
Even if you retrieve a quote online, you’ll need to work with a live agent to complete the purchase of your policy.
If you want to make sure you are getting the best possible deal, start by comparing rates with us instead of getting a quote directly through Shelter first. With our auto insurance comparison tool, we’ll compare rates from 65+ top insurance companies so you have a complete understanding of your options.
Shelter Auto Insurance Payments
Shelter is flexible in how you make your premium payments. If you want to pay your entire premium upfront you’ll secure a 10% discount to make your insurance even cheaper. Or you can enroll in monthly payments that you can put on auto pay or pay manually each month through their convenient online portal.
Rate Increases at Shelter
While some insurance companies make headlines by increasing their rates, Shelter Insurance is moving in the other direction for some policyholders. In 2020, the insurance company dropped its rates by 5% for most customers. That was a result of the decline in accidents during the COVID19 pandemic.
However, some customers will see increases in their auto insurance rates. The reason behind the increase could be a driving mishap such as an accident or ticket. Or the state you live in might be experiencing an increase in car insurance claims.
If you have questions about a rate increase on your policy, you can always reach out to the Shelter customer service team.
Also, whenever your rate increases it’s a good idea to compare your auto insurance rates to see what else is available. At Compare.com we make the comparison process simple.
Just enter your zip code below to get started.
Filing Insurance Claims at Shelter Auto
If you need to file an auto insurance claim with Shelter, there are two options. You can call 1-800-SHELTER or log into your My Shelter account to report the claim. Be prepared to answer questions about the incident and possibly provide pictures.
Shelter Auto Insurance Discounts
Shelter Insurance offers a plethora of discounts to help make your car insurance premium more affordable.
- Safe driver discount. If you haven’t been in an accident or received a traffic violation in the last three years, Shelter may reward you with a safe driver discount.
- Good student discount. As an unmarried full-time student under the age of 25 with good grades, you may qualify for a discount on your car insurance premiums.
- Pay in full discount. Instead of paying for your car insurance each month, paying for a full term in advance could lead to a 10% discount. That’s a saving worth pursuing.
- Multi-vehicle discount. If there are two or more vehicles on your Shelter insurance policy, you may receive a discount.
- Companion policy discount. You could score a discount if you are at least 48 years old with a qualifying Shelter Insurance property policy, including homeowners insurance or farm owners insurance.
- Companion life discount. If you have a life insurance policy through the company, you may receive a discounted premium.
- Passive restraint discount. If your car has certain qualifiable safety features, you could snag a discount.
- Accident prevention course discount. Taking an approved defensive driving course can help you save on your premium.
- Military discount. Active military personnel assigned to a base in Louisiana can qualify for a military discount.
- Window identification system discount. Louisiana residents with premium coverage could get a discount on their insurance if the VIN is etched into each window of the vehicle.
- Anti-theft discount. Kentucky and Illinois residents can score a big discount for installing anti-theft systems.
If you think you may qualify for one of these insurance discounts, don’t hesitate to ask the agent about adding it to your policy.
Coverage Options at Shelter Insurance
The coverage options offered by Shelter Insurance can vary by state. But you’ll find that Shelter goes beyond the basic coverage options. Here’s what you may find available with this company.
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Roadside assistance coverage
- New car replacement
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Personal injury protection coverage
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury liability
- Underinsured motorist bodily injury liability
- Rental car reimbursement
- Accidental death
- Disability income coverage
- Gap coverage
- Loss of use
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage
If you are driving with Shelter insurance, having the right amount of coverage is critical. Shelter Insurance agents can help you choose the best insurance policy to fit your needs.
Average Shelter Auto Insurance Costs
Car insurance can take a big bite out of your budget depending on several factors. If you want to be insured by Shelter Insurance, here’s what you should expect to pay depending on certain demographics and your driving history.
|Young Drivers (18-24)||$198|
|Retired Drivers (65+)||$142|
If you have some dings on your driving record, you can expect to pay more for your car insurance. Here’s the costs to consider with Shelter.
|1 Speeding Ticket||$182|
Where is Shelter Insurance available?
One big downside to Shelter Insurance is that it’s only available in 15 states.
Currently, the company operates in Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.
This may change overtime if they expand coverage, but for now, if you don’t live in one of these states you’ll have to look elsewhere.
Customer Reviews at Shelter Insurance
Shelter Insurance has received some mixed feedback from customers.
The company only earned 1.31 out of 5 stars through the Better Business Bureau, but they have an A+ rating. When you look at the reviews on Trustpilot they’ve only scored a measly 2.9 out of 5 stars.
Like the A+ rating from the BBB, J.D. Power has ranked the company as the Highest in Customer Satisfaction among auto insurers in the Central Region. That’s high praise in this industry! And it’s backed by many customer surveys.
Based on these reviews, we’re uncertain what your experience will be if you choose to go with Shelter. The best thing is to do a bit more research into the company to determine whether it’s a good fit or not.
Pros and Cons of Shelter Insurance
It’s challenging to find an auto insurance company that offers everything you want at a price that fits your budget. That’s why you have to weigh the pros and cons when making a decision. Here are advantages and disadvantages to consider before selecting Shelter Insurance.
First, the pros:
- Plenty of discounts. Shelter Insurance offers an extensive selection of discounts to help keep your premiums affordable.
- Award-winning customer service. While some of the ratings are pretty low, Shelter has won awards for their customer service, so you just might have a great experience.
- Easy to use mobile app. You can easily use the mobile app to manage your policy.
- Community-focused. This company places an emphasis on its community by working with social service organizations.
Now for the cons:
- Must work with a live agent. Shelter Insurance is not a good fit if you want to complete your car insurance experience online because you have to speak to a live agent to complete your enrollment process.
- Not available everywhere. This company only offers coverage in 15 states.
- Discounts vary by state. While they offer an extensive selection of discounts, not all states offer the same discount options.
How to Know if Shelter Insurance is a Good Fit
Shelter Insurance offers many promising features you might love, but whether it’s a good fit for you will depend on what you’re seeking from an insurance company. The best way to know whether Shelter is for you is to make a list of the things you need most when considering an auto insurance company. Also, take a look at your budget. After determining that they offer a major of the things you need, see if they fit your budget. If so, it might be worth giving them a try, but if not, you likely want to move on to find a better fit.
FAQs about Shelter Insurance
Who is Shelter Insurance owned by?
Shelter Insurance is a Shelter Mutual Insurance Company subsidiary.
Where is Shelter Insurance headquarters address?
Shelter Insurance is based in Columbia, Missouri at 1817 West Broadway.
What other insurance products does Shelter Insurance offer?
In addition to auto insurance, Shelter Insurance also offers home insurance, life insurance, renters insurance, motorcycle insurance, RV insurance, ATV insurance, boat insurance, umbrella insurance, inland marine insurance, farm insurance, and business insurance.