College Car Insurance ChecklistAugust 20, 2015
If your son or daughter is preparing to go away to college, the last thing on your mind is their car insurance coverage. We’re here to help you through the transition of making sure your college student has the proper car insurance for college when they leave home. Please take a moment to review our Compare.com College Car Insurance Checklist below.
College Car Insurance Policy Check-Up
- If your college student is on your policy, make sure they are a listed as a driver on your car insurance policy. If they are not, they may not be covered in the event of an accident.
- Make sure they are assigned as the primary driver of the car they’re driving to school. If they have their own policy, they’ll need to make changes to their policy to reflect where they live and where they garage their vehicle. This is ensures that any claims made can be handled without incident.
- In the event that your college student will not be taking their car to school with them, update your policy to reflect the change in how often the vehicle is being driven and how far. This could potentially lower your car insurance premium. Many insurance companies refer to this as a distant student discount and require that your college student attend school at least 100 miles from home.
- Check the limits on your (or their) collision, comprehensive, and liability coverages. Colleges are densely populated with limited-experience drivers. As a result, accidents are more likely to happen. Checking your coverages in these areas will help ensure that you have the appropriate insurance for college in the event that an accident occurs.
- Theft of vehicles and personal items from within vehicles is more common on and near college campuses. Be sure to avoid leaving valuables in vehicles parked around campus, and always lock your vehicle.
College Student Savings on Car Insurance
Preparing for college can be a big task, but making sure your child is protected is equally large. Compare.com is here to save you time, money, and peace of mind. Following the steps outlined above could do all three, but don’t stop there. Compare.com has even more ways for you to save. Check out our auto insurance guide to learn more about how you can save on your car insurance, or just begin our quote process and find out if you’re currently getting the best price on your car insurance.
Learn More About Auto Insurance
When it comes to auto insurance, there are a lot of variables, a lot of unfamiliar terms, and a whole lot of peculiarities – particularly when you consider that each state has its own insurance market. Our Auto Insurance Explainers can help sort it out for you, and make more educated decisions about your car insurance.